Exterior Plywood, Not Secured Well Enough - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Exterior plywood, not secured well enough

After my builder left a job in terrible shape, I hired another, to make corrections and side the house. he seems to be doing a great, careful job.

Part of his job was to add nails to the exterior plywood, there seems to be just enough the keep the plywood up, but certainlt not enough to have a sturdy house.

He missed a section of about 6' x 6'..........now the siding is on and i have discovered a gap, of 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the studs and the plywood. What can I do? Will an adhesive work in this case? Theres no inasulation yet, and I have access to the area in question.

thanks!

Advertisement

mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
carpentry

Rewards Points: 25

What type of siding?...also, I might be crazy....but it's pretty obvious, no matter what type of siding that is being applied, that a sheet of plywood wasn't nailed!

Are there any obstructions between the plywood and the framing? and Is the plywood unmistakedly loose from the framing?

Wood and fiber cement siding needs to be nailed to the framing which in and of itself should fasten not only the siding, but also the plywood to the framing. Vinyl is different, it's easily removed and re-hung, so if that's the case, have them remove a section and secure the plywood.

Advertisement

WNYcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
After my builder left a job in terrible shape, I hired another, to make corrections and side the house. he seems to be doing a great, careful job.

Part of his job was to add nails to the exterior plywood, there seems to be just enough the keep the plywood up, but certainlt not enough to have a sturdy house.

He missed a section of about 6' x 6'..........now the siding is on and i have discovered a gap, of 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the studs and the plywood. What can I do? Will an adhesive work in this case? Theres no inasulation yet, and I have access to the area in question.

thanks!
Is the new guy you hired a cousin of the first5 guy? How could this guy have nailed the siding on without knowing this? Have you paid the sider?

You can answer me through email or here if you want, but where from NJ are you?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Siding is relatively easy to remove. Remove the area that needs to be nailed and then reapply the siding.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

No, I have to admit they new guy has been very good, he simply missed with a couple of nail, he was left with a mess. I'm in Paramus, north jersey suburb of NYC.
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote