Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

exterior of a mobile home

I have been asked to quote on re-siding and a new roof for an older mobile home. In our climate Cebtral Alberta), it makes sense to add ridgid insulation if a re-siding job is being done. Question one, should the old skin/siding be removed or just go over top? Number two, I would plan on strapping as well as the insulation, what is the suggested thickness for insulation. Third, the client wants to add a peaked roof. I have heard to two ways to do this. One is to go on top of the existing roof with taylor made trusses and the second method is to remove the old roof (or open it up) and use regular trusses. The second is so that you can see any damage, mould, water stains etc.,
All advice is welcome, especially from those who have actually done this type of work.
Thanks.

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

exterior of a mobile home

I would remove the siding so you can see what is under there and make sure you will not hit any wires. Our home had a peaked roof added with trusses and it's nice to have a crawl space up there they filled it with insulation but you can get up there to run wires venting or whatever is needed.