Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Landing

I am looking for advice/options on a building/supporting a new exterior landing.

The existing steps are rotting out and need to be replaced. As I understand from code, there must be a landing on both sides of an exterior door (this one is an inswing, with an outswing screen door, height about 42 inches above grade). So, if I'm going to be doing replacement work, I'm going to do it right. I'd like replace the steps with a (minimum) 24inch deep landing on the exterior side. I have some wiggle room, as the steps land about 4 feet away from a patio.

I was considering ledger and post/beam as the support for the deck. However, as i also understand, if the footings are within 5 feet of the foundation, it must bear to the depth of the foundation footings (in this case, 8 feet - full basement...otherwise my area requires minimum 36inch footing depth). While I can do the work and dig the footings (once permit is secured), I'd like to know if there are any other support options to consider.

Pic of door is below. Thanks

Last edited by Ford06; 04-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Exterior Landing

You really need to discuss your project with your local building inspector. You have a deck design issue and a landing design issue. Your inspector will tell you what code to follow, and just as important, how they interpret said code. No one on this forum is in a position to substitute their opinion for that of the building inspector.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

Exterior Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford06 View Post
I am looking for advice/options on a building/supporting a new exterior landing.

The existing steps are rotting out and need to be replaced. As I understand from code, there must be a landing on both sides of an exterior door (this one is an inswing, with an outswing screen door, height about 42 inches above grade). So, if I'm going to be doing replacement work, I'm going to do it right. I'd like replace the steps with a (minimum) 24inch deep landing on the exterior side. I have some wiggle room, as the steps land about 4 feet away from a patio.

I was considering ledger and post/beam as the support for the deck. However, as i also understand, if the footings are within 5 feet of the foundation, it must bear to the depth of the foundation footings (in this case, 8 feet - full basement...otherwise my area requires minimum 36inch footing depth). While I can do the work and dig the footings (once permit is secured), I'd like to know if there are any other support options to consider.

Pic of door is below. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum!

It appears that each town in Missouri has adopted their own version of building code, but I may be incorrect. My first advise is to contact your local building department to determine your code requirements.

I will speak in regards to the 2009 International Residential Code requirements which are typical. Again your code requirements may differ.

Landing: Section R311.3 requires a floor or landing on each side of an exterior door. The width of the landing must be at least the same as the width of the door. It must be at least 36" in the direction of travel. For example a 32" door must have a landing 32" in with and extend 36" out from the house.

Door Swing: typically doors are not to swing over a step (should your landing be lower than the finish floor inside), see R311.7.5. However screen doors typically do not apply. Verify this with your building official.

Landing depth: as mentioned above it would need to be 36" in depth.

Depth of Footing: typically when excavation is performed there is an over dig that would allow workers to perform their form setup within the whole.

Section R403.1 requires that footings shall be supported on undisturbed natural soils or engineered fill. Therefore your sonotubes would need to extend down to undisturbed natural material, which would be expected at the same depth of your home's footings. Engineered fill is designed by a professional engineer.

A ledger connection should be accomplished with the use of through bolts with washer & nut into the existing rim joist of your home. See Section 502.2.2 for requirements. A beam would be needed to support the opposite end of your porch/deck. This should require installation of two sonotubes to support the columns. Some may say you could attach one end of the beam to the existing rim joist, however Section 502.2.2.2 does not allow this connection.

As I stated contact your local building department and review your code requirements with them.

Hope this helps! Good luck

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

Exterior Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
Depth of Footing: typically when excavation is performed there is an Over Dig That would allow workers to perform their form setup within the hole.
Over digging is normally not done for post foundations in most areas. Instead, the whole is dug to the required depth the required size of the footing (normally ends up a little larger). A section of Sono tube is then supported so the top of the foundation is formed neatly. This way, when the foundation is poured the concrete will bear directly against the undisturbed soil instead of loose fill. This method makes the foundations even stronger and more resistant to movement.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

Exterior Landing

no, over dig for a full basement for the existing dwelling. this is the reason sonotubes must be installed to more than the frost depth as the soil typically within about 5' of the existing foundation was disturbed in the original excavation for the foundation.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Exterior Landing

Thank you for the code references. they confirm that, like most things, will not go as initial research had indicated it would

I knew I would need to talk with the local building inspector, just wanted to make sure there werent options i was overlooking

i misstated the landing depth you are correct, (and yes, the steps pictured are going away eventually...don't like them at all).

thanks all

Last edited by Ford06; 04-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Exterior Landing

AGREE 100%!
Thanks Daniel.

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You really need to discuss your project with your local building inspector. You have a deck design issue and a landing design issue. Your inspector will tell you what code to follow, and just as important, how they interpret said code. No one on this forum is in a position to substitute their opinion for that of the building inspector.
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote