Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |

Exterior/interior door problem...

I have an unheated attached garage in my split level home. There is an interior door, hollow core, with a sheet of tin nailed to the back used as the entry from the garage to the lower level now. It hemmoridges warmth from the house. I would like to put a steel entry door there, but the rough opening is only 81.5" and there is no room to reframe due to the support and soffit. I know I can special order a 78" door from big box store, and I'm about to head over to find out the cost. Is there another solution? Would I be sorry if I tried to put a solid pine interior door and weatherstrip it and caulk the seams?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

81.5 ought to be real close to accepting a standard height pre-hung door. Take your tape measure along and see if one will clear. Even if you have to trim a half inch out of the header it would be worth it in my opinion. A solid pine door would be an improvement, but an insulated door would be a vast improvement.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

hanks
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

How did you measure the HIGHT. from the finish floor or the sub floor.?? does THE FINISHED FLOOR GO UNDER THE DOOR, IF SO COULD YOU LOWER THE DOOR 3/4". THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THE USE OF A MATT ON THE INSIDE OF THE DOOR. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks Bob, yeah unfortunately the height is to the concrete sub, no room there. However, I am experimenting now with trying to raise the header and sneak an 80" fire code door in there. I think it will be a tricky install including removing the casing and cutting, but it might go. I just got back from the depot, the same door I would spend $190 for in 80" is $435 and 3 weeks away as a special order in 78", ouch! I think if I rebuild the soffit and steal 3/4" there this is going to work.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

Got it in. Thanks. Rebuilt the header and cut some door and got by with JUST enough to shim it level and plumb.