Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Exterior french drain rock and foundation wall care

Hello, the past week I have dug around my foundation to the footer and have the correct slope leading out and I have pressure washed my walls ect. Now im ready to put it all back together. First question is im applying a foundation coating to my "Pressure washed" walls, is there anything else that goes over the black stuff? I have a friend that used some kinda foam stuff. Second question, I have bought the filter fabric to line the hole up the sides and over my gravel and I have purchased the solid pipe and sock for over the pipe. What I want to know is when I line the hole with the landscape fabric do I then put a thin layer of gravel down OR do I lay the pipe right on top of the landscape fabric? I know gravel goes on top and its sides ect. then the faberic is then folded over the rock kinda like a giant burreto...

Thanks,
Chad

oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Yes, there is products that you can place over the foundation after coating, to help weep water down to the tile. There is Superseal Membrane backing that you can use. Here is the link for the info http://superseal.ca/dimpledmembrane.html I have nothing to do with the manufacturer or website, but this is the closes thing that I can think of, that they use on Holmes Inspection for the outside foundation waterproofing.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

With a perforated pipe (holes at 4 & 8 o'clock) the most important thing is to have a properly draining bedding under the pipe, because that is where the water is really collected from.

The filter fabric is only needed if the rock around the pipe is too coarse and/or too clean. It helps when you get a sloppy or don't use the proper materials.

What you are doing is trying to re-invent a drainage system that has been used for decades or even centuries.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #4

The pipe I got has three sets of holes, do I still place holes down? I picked this drainage pipe up at lowes....
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

Holes on the bottom portion. The "solid" pipe PVC, I assume is the lighter weight version that seems to be popping up in the market now.

If you go through all the trouble to dig down 6' or 8' makes sure you go down enough to make a bed that drains well.

A perforated drain system is always there and working to provide a volume "cushion" for the rapid unpredictable short term events and to prevent excess pressure because it have the invert (bottom) below the bottom of the footing.

Dick
Old 08-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

One set of holes should be pointed down.

The purpose of the perforated pipe is to guarantee an air pocket all the way around the perimeter below floor level for water to "gravitate" to.

Putting foam on the outside of the foundation over "the black stuff" is optional and the purpose is to increase the R-value of the foundation wall insulation-wise.

It is best if the filter fabric is not wrapped directly around the pipe since the filtering area is limited to spots about 1/2 inch in diameter at the pipe perforations where the fabric clings to the pipe. Hence the burrito method of enclosing gravel in between including around the bottom of the pipe.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-20-2011 at 06:15 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

My understanding is that you put the holes pointing 'slightly' to the side. The bottom row of holes are basicly down...with the next row providing air for flow. The wrape is to prevent sand and dirt from getting into the pipe.

In the 'old' days....a French drain was just gravel.....that is what I use around my garage and it works wells. You can actually see the water flow coming out of the area where the gravel ends at the edge of the driveway.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

Well I returned the 3 hole pipe back to lowes and went to Home Depot and got a 2 hole pipe which im more comfortable using. The holes would be on the bottom but sorta on the sides and now have a channel for the water to flow. As for the sock, Should I or shouldn't I use the sock? I am laying the landscape fabric down and the sock would be extra protection I guess but really isn't needed because of the landscape fabric BUT I had already purchased and my thought is do it right the first time!

Thanks,
Chad
Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxicottin View Post
The pipe I got has three sets of holes, do I still place holes down? I picked this drainage pipe up at lowes....
Is it black perferated curragated pipe that comes in a 100' roll?

If so, you're going to have a hard time positioning the slots, as the pipe will twist as you go around. I would put 2-4" of stone under the pipe first to keep it clean. No need to bother with the "sock" over the pipe if you're using fabric over the entire system.

As for the tar protection, 1/2" foam is the minimum I've ever used, although 1" is more feasible from a cost/performance aspect. You should use something though, as it will also protect your tar coat from getting damaged from stone & dirt backfill.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Is it black perferated curragated pipe that comes in a 100' roll?

If so, you're going to have a hard time positioning the slots, as the pipe will twist as you go around. I would put 2-4" of stone under the pipe first to keep it clean. No need to bother with the "sock" over the pipe if you're using fabric over the entire system.

As for the tar protection, 1/2" foam is the minimum I've ever used, although 1" is more feasible from a cost/performance aspect. You should use something though, as it will also protect your tar coat from getting damaged from stone & dirt backfill.
I have purchased the white PVC pipe with 2 sets of holes running down the sides just below the center. So ditch the sock and stick with the fabric.... My friend put the foam on his wall and he said the same thing about damage to the tar.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Is... you're going to have a hard time positioning the slots, as the pipe will twist as you go around. I would put 2-4" of stone under the pipe first to keep it clean. .
You can drill additional holes in the pipe as needed to have enough holes near the "bottom" of the pipe.

Four inches of stone under the pipe doesn't leave much vertical room for slope. You may not carve the earth below the bottom surface of the foundation footings unless you dig the ditch several inches away from the foundation following a slope no steeper than 3 more inches away for every inch further down.

Actually you can get away with very little slope. What you would need in exchange is having the sump pump come on before much of the end of the drain pipe as seen in the pit got submerged.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-20-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You can drill additional holes in the pipe as needed to have enough holes near the "bottom" of the pipe.

Four inches of stone under the pipe doesn't leave much vertical room for slope. You may not carve the earth below the bottom surface of the foundation footings unless you dig the ditch several inches away from the foundation following a slope no steeper than 3 more inches away for every inch further down.

Actually you can get away with very little slope. What you would need in exchange is having the sump pump come on before much of the end of the drain pipe as seen in the pit got submerged.
Not sure how many actual footing drains you've installed, but I've yet to find any that have ever pitched (intentionally) around the entire perimeter. As a matter of fact, 95% of new basements here utilize "Form-a-Drain", which is never pitched, nor would it be feasible to do so. Besides, the vast majority of the water that enter the crock does so via the stone below, rather than through the pipe itself.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #13

Obviously the pipe around, inside or both should be level since water will automatically seek its own level. Also the footings are level, so it is a no-brainer.

If you are not using a sump pump, but carrying the water away to a pit or daylight, use the solid wall pvc (not perforated) sloped to the outlet to control the direction and elevation. Using perforated pipe for this application can result is backing up water around the footings/slab.

Dick
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #14

(The portion of the pipe system going around the foundation must still be perforated. Only the portion going away from the foundation to downhill daylight or a remote pit need be solid pipe. If this latter portion is also perforated then some of the water in the trench gravel below pipe level all around the foundation will follow under that sloped outlet pipe away from the foundation, enter that pipe, and be carried away.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-21-2011 at 06:14 AM.