Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior French door choices!

Hi all....I am hoping to get some great advice from you about what brand of exterior french door to purchase for our home in the northwest. We need an out swing door and the door will be installed on the east side of our house that receives the worst of the wind,rain, snow etc. We also have 4 dogs, one of which is a puppy that jumps/scratches on the outside occasionally if the kids leave her out too long so I would like something ideally that is wind,rain and dog proof.......and if I'm being too picky, then something that is windproof and has the ability to be touched up on the exterior when necessary. At the moment we have old wood style french doors with no encasement so the wind just flies right in (not to mention the puppy claw marks on the outside ) thanks for any help!

toothfairy224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #2

I like Marvin or Pella doors personally. There are of course steel doors, fiberglass, aluminum clad - get them with added toe plates for protection, etc. Expect to pay more for the outswing too.

pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #3

upvc (vinly door) are good solution for you.

also prepfer pakdoor
http://www.pakpen.com.tr/eng/products_pakdoor.asp
gulatilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! If I understand correctly, you would recommend a wood/fiberglass door like pella or andersen? I am expecting to pay more for outswinging doors but I have really disliked having my current door swing in to my small kitchen and the slider that looks like a french door has an opening too small to roll my kitchen island out onto the covered back deck. Thanks for all your help on this monumental decision!
toothfairy224 is offline   Reply With Quote