Exterior Finish: Stucco Or EIFS? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Exterior Finish: Stucco or EIFS?

For residential use, if I will already have styrofoam/EPS on the exterior walls as I am using ICF construction. Instead of doing the chicken wire and thin concrete coat for the stucco, would it be better to just use EIFS and avoid the chicken wire & concrete?

Which is less expensive, traditional stucco or EIFS?

Since I already have the styrofoam in place, it should save me substantial money in the finishing work. From what I have seen, EIFS is more durable, more commercial buildings use it.

Advertisement

Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 05-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Hi,

There are many ways to nicely finish ICF contruction, and EIFS or TAFS (EIFS without EPS) can certainly be one of them. However, there are many factors involved and this would not typically be a DIY type project. I recommend you contact a professional contractor with experience in this type of work - who can evaluate the condition of your ICF and determine the best course of action for you to follow. If you like, I can connect you with someone in your area who can help you sort this out for best results and a long term, good looking solution. Good luck!

Advertisement

tonystall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

You need to put your location in your profile.

Stucco is a great way to cover a wall...but is not for everyone...or location.....you don't want to use it in heavy freeze areas.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

When we do EIFS over the block foam like that usually we use one inch foam over the existing foam because it is so out of wack. EIFS base coat should be 1/8" thick so if your foam is off more than a 1/2" I recommend using 1" foam over it. Make sure you still sand the existing foam to get it as smooth as possible. We do EIFS all over the country and Dryvit is a Canadian product which does very well in cooler climates.
1 in 11 buildings in the US has Dryvit featured on it. Over 2 Billion Square Feet of Dryvit has been applied in North America. The Next Generation of EIFS is one of the best products on the market.
For more info www.eifsrepair.info
There is a great article on the Next Generation EIFS and an overview of the EIFS process.
CoreyTurcotte is offline   Reply With Quote