Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Exterior Fascia Repair - what wood?

Hey All,

My front porch is built out in a classic arts and crafts style. Some of the trim (see picture) is starting to rot, and I'd like to replace it, and am wondering what I should use for lumber. To avoid looking stupid, it would have to be painted pretty much immediately, which kind of rules out PT lumber, but I would think anything else would rot.

Thanks.

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

I'd replace that whole thing with vinyl lumber.
With a light sanding it can still be painted, but would never rot again.
Still for some silly reason want to go with wood use Dougles fur.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

You honestly think we could recreate that look with vinyl?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

Get rid of all that poop.
Something like James Hardee panel and vinyl lumber for the trim would work.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Redwood.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
You honestly think we could recreate that look with vinyl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Get rid of all that poop.
Something like James Hardee panel and vinyl lumber for the trim would work.
Bobman... I'll bet if you take some vinyl trim, maybe run over it with a front loader with the bucket down, hit it with a blow torch, and hack at it with framing axe.... I think you could recreate that look.

As joe says above, harde and vinyl won't rot on ya... and you can get them fully paintable in grained rough or plained smothe.

Harde makes a trim also, but it is supposed to be stood off from any pooled water.

EDIT: The picture just disappeared and there's a redX in the box. Anyone know if that is my computer problem, or something with the site?? TIA

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-02-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Question
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #7

Hahaha, I don't want to recreate the rotted look. I just see vinyl siding and can tell it's vinyl siding from low-Earth orbit, and the last thing I want on my house is the vinyl look (no offense to vinyl lovers, but I'm just really trying to keep the early-century craftsman aesthetic). But if it wouldn't look , well, vinyl I'd be willing to give it a shot. Really my only experience with the stuff is as siding, not as trim (worth noting this is my first home that i've owned) - honestly this may be the first time I"ve heard the term "vinyl lumber" so this is a whole new world, haha.

OH and re the red x, those pics are linked to my public dropbox folder, not hosted on this site, so... could be something to do with that.

Last edited by TheBobmanNH; 06-02-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Hahaha, I don't want to recreate the rotted look. I just see vinyl siding and can tell it's vinyl siding from low-Earth orbit, and the last thing I want on my house is the vinyl look (no offense to vinyl lovers, but I'm just really trying to keep the early-century craftsman aesthetic). But if it wouldn't look , well, vinyl I'd be willing to give it a shot. Really my only experience with the stuff is as siding, not as trim (worth noting this is my first home that i've owned) - honestly this may be the first time I"ve heard the term "vinyl lumber" so this is a whole new world, haha.

OH and re the red x, those pics are linked to my public dropbox folder, not hosted on this site, so... could be something to do with that.
Bob... I honestly do know where you are coming from. But honest, the hardi and vinyl/plastic/composit trims are NOT your fathers vinyl siding.

I jsut had my first major experience with my son's 1953 Cali cottage, that he is trying to maintain it's original character, but with lower maintaince and modern product. It came out great.

Admitedly, I would not use it in a historical restoration, but it is a good looking, non "plastic" looking product.

Your home looks great with alot of character.

Good goin

Peter

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-02-2013 at 11:55 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
TheBobmanNH (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check that stuff out. The biggest downside to switching materials would be having to rebuild the whole porch at once rather than just the pieces that need it
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check that stuff out. The biggest downside to switching materials would be having to rebuild the whole porch at once rather than just the pieces that need it

the correct term for the vinyl lumber is - c pvc, cellular pvc which means air bubbles are added to allow it to be paintable. paintable applies here to your situation and c pvc cannot be painted with dark colors lest it will warp and expand from heat. My painter uses a paint that is used on c pvc lumber that will eliminate the dark color warp affect and sherwin williams sells it. other wise you can get the c pvc in any 3/4 or 5/4 stock size that standard 1x stock comes in- 1x4,1x6,1x8 etc... and it looks exactly the same as a 1x but better with no splits, warps, cups,twists, bows, or crowns. it is kind of the metal studs of the wood framing world where metal studs are always straight when compared to wood studs(if the fork lift driver did not damage the metal studs).

you can also find pressure treated dry lumber that is ready for paint the second it goes up, call your local lumber supply and get informed...

Last edited by hand drive; 06-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

If I owned it I'd look at western red cedar, Spanish cedar and "if in the northeast" maybe a locally milled eastern cedar. Paint all sides. Oil base primer and two coats of good acrylic latex. I like SW.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote