Exterior Door Install. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

exterior door install.

We are installing a jeldwen exterior prehung steel door in my dads house. its a concrete block house. we are having problems getting the door square and when we try and close the door it still hits the frame. any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

sflamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

exterior door install.

It sounds like the door is tight in the rough opening. If you can't simply shim this problem out of the door you could be in for a long day. Check the door for plumb and level. If you cant get it perfectly plumb because there is not enough space in the R.O., then at least set the door in there square....(not racked at an angle) If you tried to do this with no shims, run to the home center and buy some cedar shims. Remember to set the threshold on a thick bead of silicon. They probably gave you some long brass colored screwa in the hardware package. These go through the holes where I'm guessing screws were left out of each hinge, and into the framing. Put shims as close to the screws as you can between the framing and the door jamb when you have it set where you want it...Hope this helped.

Advertisement

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

exterior door install.

do a good search theres plenty of threads on here about how to install doors, I wrote a guide myself.

Check the opening for square if it's off enough you'll never get it in. You may need a grinder with masonary pad or in extreme cases a masonary saw (probably not since there WAS a door there before). Anyway if it's scewed top left (top left less than 90 degreed top right more) you'll need to grind the inside bottom left and the inside top right... and if it's the opposite scew the opposite grinding. You'll also need to use anchors to lag into the brick once it's set.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

exterior door install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamedic View Post
We are installing a jeldwen exterior prehung steel door in my dads house. its a concrete block house. we are having problems getting the door square and when we try and close the door it still hits the frame. any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.
You would normally assume the new factory door and frame is square and plum, but I would still confirm it. Check the frame, check the door, check the hinges.

The entry opening:
Check every area of the opening using a level, square, plum-line, etc....Check the header area, check the threshold area.

If you go thru all these carefully and tediously, you should be able to determine where exactly the issue lies that is causing the frame to be misaligned.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

exterior door install.

Whats the actual rough opening versus the suggested rough opening for your new frame?

Center your new frame in the old opening and then work on shimming, plumbing, and attaching the hinge leg of the frame first, then the latch side.

Measure across the new frame at the top, middle, and bottom as you go to keep the frame width consistent, and measure diagonally to check for racking.

Beware of screw guns when doing this since you can bow the frame if screws are over torqued.

Where and how bad on the frame is the door hitting now?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #6

exterior door install.

thanks for all of the help. My dad figured it out after all. thanks again
Old 05-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #7

exterior door install.

Quote:
thanks for all of the help. My dad figured it out after all. thanks again

Aren't Dads great ?

Out of curiosity,....what was the issue?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-07-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Grammer
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #8

exterior door install.

Yeah dads are the best. He needed to be this time considering it was his house, LOL. He has installed doors plenty of times and said that this was a first that it happened like this. The room was orriginally an unfinished utility room that he turned into a bedroom about 14 years ago. It had concrete block walls and thats when the door we replaced was installed. Then the room was drywalled and and the drywall was placed ontop of the edge of the door frame rather then next to it. So with the old door it was all flush from the drywall into the door frame. Now the new door was installed and he wanted it to be flush again. And ontop of that there was an extra piece of about 1/2 board on the 2x4 frame to i guess tighten the fit. Well with that board there it was a very tight fit with the new door. So thats when we had all of the trouble. when it was square it would hit when closed and when out of square it would close good but the weather strip wouldnt have a good seal. we tried taking the board off the 2x4 and then it was such a big gap that it would take 5 packs of shims and still wanst good. the solution ended up being adding a board ontop of the 2x4 that was 1/8" smaller than the board that was there. Sorry for the long story but i hope that you understand what happened. At least its in and he is happy with it now.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

exterior door install.

Glad you and Dad got it worked out!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #10

exterior door install.

Quote:
...... Sorry for the long story but i hope that you understand what happened. At least its in and he is happy with it now.

You evidently haven't read some of the REALLY LONG stories on here.........Yours wasn't 'that' long......

Advertisement