Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Fearless DIYer

Share |

Exterior door in finished basement -- size? configuration?

Hi,

I am looking at putting an exterior door in a new foundation. The basement will be finished. The concrete walls where the door will be installed are 8" thick and I haven't decided if I'm going to finish the basement with 2x4 studs or 2" foam + strapping. The opening for the door will have a 2x buck made out of PT wood installed.

What is the standard approach here considering the depth of the wall could be up to 13" deep (8" concrete, 3.5" studs, air space, drywall). If the door is in-swing, should the door be set back into the foundation wall? Should the brickmold be cut off? If the door should be set back into the wall, how far?

My preference is to keep the brickmold and set it on the outside of the buck flush with the exterior foundation wall. I want to finish the exterior of the foundation wall with a stone veneer that would be a similar depth to the brickmold, so it would work, however I am concerned about the door hitting the wall when it is opened due to the wall depth. What door depth should I order (2x4, 2x6, 2x8 framing)?

Thanks.

axiom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Set the door flush with the face of the interior wall for an inswing unit. If you set it into the wall, it will not be able to swing open past 90 degrees without hitting the wall, and eventually ripping the hinge screws out. This will require more attention to the waterproofing of the sill; I'd probably set the unit in some type of pan before the stone veneer goes on. You can have a copper one made at a sheetmetal shop, or look at the plastic units by "Jambsill" to see if they have a prefab you can use.
An outswing door set to the outside wall would be less problematic at the sill, and also allow you to specify a unit with a jamb up type threshold, instead of the ones that just rely on a couple of plastic fins.
Either swing would work as long as you consider the waterproofing requirements as more than an after thought.
Definately go with fiberglass, not the cheaper steel units, and nothing smaller than a 36" unit IMO.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-21-2010 at 12:41 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #3

I have an exterior door in above grade basement. Block wall with brick veneer. 6 lite Fiberglass door installed flush on the inside of the wall with inswing.
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #4

An inswing door should be flush with the drywall inside. Some door manufacturers will build a custom prehung door with bigger jambs and thresholds. I wasn't able to find one that would build a clad jamb in anything greater than 6 9/16 but unclad some said they could go to 13".

A good carpenter can also customize jamb extensions though you'ld want to make sure you can get threshold extensions for the threshold on your door. You can also minimize the wall thickness at the door to some extent by building in a taper from the concrete to the full thickness of the 2x4.

Last edited by jogr; 04-21-2010 at 04:06 PM.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote