Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Brick Wall Seperated from Home

I'm purchasing a home that has a problem with the decorative outside brick wall separating from the house. It has a 3" gap between the top of the bricks and the bottom of the roof line as shown in the picture. This gap runs about 6' horizontally and I believe the brick wall is loose almost to the ground. What is the best way to make this repair? The report I seen said that it's not accessible from the attic. Should I tear out the inside wall to place some kind of "standoffs" or do I do it buy removing bricks from the outside? I really don't know where to start.

Thanks,
Buddy

Exterior Brick Wall Seperated from Home-pa010127-medium-.jpg

Exterior Brick Wall Seperated from Home-pa010128-medium-.jpg

mrhonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

That is generally a sign that no wall ties were installed. Depending upon the wall maekup there are remedial anchors to fix it, but they are usually only done for commercial or double wythe masonry walls. Tear it down and rebuild it with wall ties.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

What did your pre-purchase home inspector have to say about the situation?

Have you closed yet? Any other brick veneer walls amy ahve been built the same way(same contractor) and are not showing any distress.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Walk away from the house very slowly, then run like hell! If the builder scrimped here on brick ties or did such shoddy work elsewhere in the house you are buying into serious trouble down the road (and maybe not too far down the road!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonest View Post
I'm purchasing a home that has a problem with the decorative outside brick wall separating from the house. It has a 3" gap between the top of the bricks and the bottom of the roof line as shown in the picture. This gap runs about 6' horizontally and I believe the brick wall is loose almost to the ground. What is the best way to make this repair? The report I seen said that it's not accessible from the attic. Should I tear out the inside wall to place some kind of "standoffs" or do I do it buy removing bricks from the outside? I really don't know where to start.

Thanks,
Buddy

Attachment 5256

Attachment 5257
unoga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior brick repair