DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Extension on Outside Concrete stairs

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jomama45 
#1 ·
I am looking to redo the front, or I should say side, outside concrete stairs to my house.
The stairs lead to the main entrance, and the stairs run up alongside the house. 4 steps, about 3 feet wide with a 5 foot long landing on top. Since they are crumbling and need to be redone anyway, we's like to have them extended width-wise by 2 more feet to one side (the other side is the house), making the stairs 5 feet wide total. There is a patch of mud next to the stairs now where we'd like to extend it. What I was wondering is what kind of foundation would we need for this 2 foot overhand? Our guy gave us the following 2 options: Widen steps with trench foundation, or Dig 3 holes, 1 in corner, 1 in middle and 1 at end of steps going down 3 ft. 6 inches and put rebar on side of wall. Anyone know if I need the full foundation or am I safe with the lesser (cheaper) version. The concrete guy seems to feel the second way will be plenty, but I want to do it right the first time. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.