Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extension foundations

I am planning to build a single storey extension to my home next year. There is an existing concrete slab in the place where this extension is going. It is 5 inches thick high strength well matured concrete. I am reluctant to go digging this concrete up to make a foundation for the extension. It is structurally viable and safe to buid on the existing slab or can I in some way put extra concrete overground to hold up the new building or is there some kind of overground lintel available?

Thanks

gergac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Extension foundations

Simply put, the addition foundation has to be of the same type of construction as the existing house foundation. If the house is sitting on a simple slab-on-grade, you "may" be able to use it, but not likely.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

Extension foundations

You need to discuss this with the building inspector. I assume you are planning to get a permit, and the local building code will undoubtedly have a section on allowable foundation types. In my jurisdiction, an extension on a slab would be totally unacceptable, foundation needs to be below frost, which is 4 feet in my area. However, you did not state where you live, so perhaps you do not live in an area subject to frost, and possibly you do not need a permit, so a little more information would be useful.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,480

Extension foundations

This is an example of why it helps to have your location in your profile. What Daniel would do in Boston is not the same that would be done in California.

I am in the middle of a 2-story addition to my house. Exisiting house is raised foundation (crawl space). The addition is half slab and half crawl space. It was all pretty complicated....

Your soil conditions are going to be a big factor....as much as I am a DIY'r....this is one area where you need to hire an expert.....it's ok to do the work yourself....you just want to make sure your doing it the right way. That answer will not come from a DIY site.

If you want an example of how extensive my foundation is, have a look at the addition link in my signature.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote