Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extending slab foundation for bigger bathroom

I have a 1954 house on a slab foundation. The bathroom and bedroom end with a long wall, there is a 1' step down into the outside onto dirt, then 6 feet further starts a carport with a foundation. The carport roof is already connected to the house roof.
I would now like to extend the 2 rooms out up to the carport, and partly onto it, so I need to extend the foundation from the house to the foundation of the carport which is 1' lower.
Can I just dig a hole, add the right underlayments, and pour cement , or do I need to drill holes into the existing house foundation and insert rebars so that it won`t shift one day? How do the foundations seal together, and is the step down acceptable ?

Christian

newimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Extending slab foundation for bigger bathroom

1. Go to the City's Building Department for information. CA is very strict on your safety.

Your city has other code enforcements that mine does not. Your new space will need bearing foundations, a new roof (existing is not acceptable), and possibly zoning issues. Check with them to see if you can do it, then read up on it, a lot. Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote