Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
castroball5

Rewards Points: 10

extending a roof

a few years ago we have an inground pool installed behind our garage. when the idiot poured the concrete around the pool they poured it almost flush with the threshold door of my man cave. needless to say we had a lot of water damage and termite damage.(luckily it was caught early)

we are wanting to extend our existing roof about 8 feet or so. i know we will have to use some support posts at the end of it, and remove all the fascia and gutters. my question is how far up the existing rafters do i need to go to tie in? would i need to cut some of the roof off? i have attached a drawing to help.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
extending a roof-roof.jpg  

castroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

extending a roof

You could just go to the facia if it gave you at least a...3/12, or so, depending on what you're using for roofing, and still have at least 7' of headroom at the outside, depending on if you will walk through there or not, assume yea.
That would certainly be nice if it worked out that easy.
And of you do have to go up the roof, just build on top of the...shingles?...and loosen up the shingles across the top to slide the new ones under (same of you just built to the facia), and step-flash the sides.
Pretty clean and easy.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-05-2012 at 01:15 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

extending a roof

I have had to fix add-on porch roofs that were attached to fascia. That is a big no-no here in CA.
You could attach a ledger to the exterior of the building or California frame a new porch roof to the existing roof.
Either way you need a design for the new roof to get permits.

Maybe you don't want those (permits)?

Andy.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump
I have had to fix add-on porch roofs that were attached to fascia. That is a big no-no here in CA.
You could attach a ledger to the exterior of the building or California frame a new porch roof to the existing roof.
Either way you need a design for the new roof to get permits.

Maybe you don't want those (permits)?

Andy.
Don't forget, I worked in Ca for 25 years. There is no literature saying anything about what you can and can't nail things to.
It depends on the integrity of whatever you're tying into.
Either the DIY can make that determination or the inspector will.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

extending a roof

Although technically true it is not actually true. What has been explained to me in this regard is that the Building departments that required the change have interpreted the "uplift connection requirements" of the code to mean that any porch roof that is attached to the existing fascia dramatically increases the uplift for the roof.
Rendering the existing roof assembly design untenable. It does make sense in my opinion.

Andy.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
Disabled wood vet

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump
Although technically true it is not actually true. What has been explained to me in this regard is that the Building departments that required the change have interpreted the "uplift connection requirements" of the code to mean that any porch roof that is attached to the existing fascia dramatically increases the uplift for the roof.
Rendering the existing roof assembly design untenable. It does make sense in my opinion.

Andy.
I don't doubt that. Cali had some pretty extreme and off the wall codes when I lived there 15 years ago, and I'm sure they have gotten a lot more strict since I left. I shouldn't doubt anything you tell me.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

extending a roof

best practice might be to secure your new rafters on top of the load bearing wall at the top plate (house side wall).

Yep more work, but sounds like you have had enough mis adventures.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,152

extending a roof

Far better to start that new roof as far up the old roof as possible.
It will give you more pitch so the shingles will last longer, far less likly to leak, will allow you to have the a full 8' of head room under the roofed area.
Any DIY roof that I've seen leaks if it's attached at the fashia area.

The worst one I ever saw had the ledger attached directly to the 1 X 6 with just nails right through the coil stock, the deck was 24 X 12 with about a 1/12 pitch and only 2 X 6 rafters.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Framing Contractor

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by castroball5
a few years ago we have an inground pool installed behind our garage. when the idiot poured the concrete around the pool they poured it almost flush with the threshold door of my man cave. needless to say we had a lot of water damage and termite damage.(luckily it was caught early)

we are wanting to extend our existing roof about 8 feet or so. i know we will have to use some support posts at the end of it, and remove all the fascia and gutters. my question is how far up the existing rafters do i need to go to tie in? would i need to cut some of the roof off? i have attached a drawing to help.
thanks
If you have enough pitch ...you sit the new rafters on the existing top plate along side the existing rafters. You can leave the overhang on and cut the bottoms flush to the new rafters.

You do not attach them to the overhang. Don't listen to anyone telling you that. If you don't have enough pitch you run the rafters on top of the existing roof.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Disabled wood vet

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola

If you have enough pitch ...you sit the new rafters on the existing top plate along side the existing rafters. You can leave the overhang on and cut the bottoms flush to the new rafters.

You do not attach them to the overhang. Don't listen to anyone telling you that. If you don't have enough pitch you run the rafters on top of the existing roof.
If its a good facia, might even be 2x6 (which is all I pictured. I would'nt hang anything from a 1x either), there's nothing wrong with it, and why would it leak?
It's a quick, very clean transition.
Any good carpenter would not throw out rash unfounded statements like that.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman

If its a good facia, might even be 2x6 (which is all I pictured. I would'nt hang anything from a 1x either), there's nothing wrong with it, and why would it leak?
It's a quick, very clean transition.
Any good carpenter would not throw out rash unfounded statements like that.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. When you do come back and post something useful.

I never said anything about leaks. Setting the rafters in the too plate gives you the same transition as nailing to the fascia.

Why would you nail to the fascia instead of sitting the rafters on the top plate. Much stronger. You don't have that uneven line at the bottom of the new rafters where they butt into the bottom of the fascia. No bolting into the plumbcut of the rafter because even with a 2x6 fascia you have to bolt into the rafter if you do what you're saying code wise. But then again...you're not interested in code either.

Any good carpenter would know this in two seconds.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 02-05-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Disabled wood vet

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. When you do come back and post something useful.

I never said anything about leaks. Setting the rafters in the too plate gives you the same transition as nailing to the fascia.

Why would you nail to the fascia instead of sitting the rafters on the top plate. Much stronger. You don't have that uneven line at the bottom of the new rafters where they butt into the bottom of the fascia. No bolting into the plumbcut of the rafter.

Any good carpenter would know this in two seconds.
The wall is better in most cases, although it'd be luck if the facias lined up. Who knows what the existing facia elevation is compared to the wall.
And for all you know, the existing facia might be 10' high, netting about a 4/12 or something.
And I'm sorry, it was the other Joe that said it would leak for some reason.
For some reason you want to be in a pissing match with me.
Insecure about anything lately?
Cause you had something served to you on a platter now you've stopped offering any good advice to DIYers instead running around the forum arguing with everybody?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Framing Contractor

extending a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
The wall is better in most cases,
Top plate....wall....on top of the rafters are the best place. The fascia is not and is not code where I'm from.

Quote:
For some reason you want to be in a pissing match with me.
You're the one with the pissing match. You don't like what I have to say about permits...don't respond to me or jump on the bandwagon with the rest of the forum members here who condone doing illegal work. Stop responding to me about that...we won't have any pissing matches.

Quote:
Insecure about anything lately?
Makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Cause you had something served to you on a platter
Makes no sense at all.

Quote:
now you've stopped offering any good advice to DIYers instead running around the forum arguing with everybody?
I offer plenty advice here for many years and still do. I enjoy doing so to people who want to do the right thing. That's my choice. Again, your the one who doesn't like my permit questions. So do not respond to them. It's that simple.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

extending a roof

Dear Castroball5.. OP... there are six ways to solve any construction question.. out of the six three are generally better. You have not provided enough info for those that care to provide the best solutions to your real problems to provide proper answers

If we are to read between the lines ... your man cave is a converted garage... that is now set on the same grade ( or a portion of " the cave") is set the same as the pool deck you had installed. You advised water intrusion problems ...termites etc... we assume these problems are at the side wall " and your pool deck is now even with threshold to your man cave."as you have advised.
You advise repairs have been made... however fixing the damage does not mean you have addressed remeadies to mitigate the problem... You ask for advice on an extended roof...and provide a very limited elementary design.

If the purpose of the roof extension is to help solve your water intrusion problems and related water damage ...( including creating a termite friendly habitat) ... [19-22% moisture content] please understand a roof extension might reduce water volume reaching your side wall, but may not provide the protection you seek. Wind blown rain ( a norm is SW GA) during the wet season will bypass the roof extension you propose.

Posters on this forum do want to help... but your goals, purpose and desires need to be advised.

Photos and real measurements help. Help others help you.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote