Extending Patio Slab And Adding A Cover - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extending Patio Slab and adding a cover

Hey all,

I'm a long time lurker. I have a few questions to help me get started on my next project. I'm planning on extending my current patio slab and adding a cover (stand-alone roof) to the new slab. I will contract out the slab portion of the project, but would like to build the cover myself. The cover will be about 24'x12'. My first round of questions are related to the slab:

Attachment 28001
This is the cover I'd like to build.
Attachment 28002
The new slab will connect to the old and extend until about 5 ft off the fence line (setback).

1. What's the best way of attaching the old and new slab? I believe an expansion joint is best from what I've read on these forums. The soil conditions here in Miami are so that after digging about 6" you hit coral rock. I've dug holes for fence posts in the past and it's not fun.

2. What should be the depth of the slab and do I need a footing? 4"? The only structure that will be on top of the slab is the cover/roof.

3. What's the best way to anchor the posts to the slab? I was planning on using some type of Simpson anchor for the 6x6 posts, but not sure which ones. Also, would it be possible to anchor posts to the existing slab? I'm concerned that the existing slab (not sure if it's greater than 4") will be able to support the new structure.

I know these are all good questions for my local building dept., but I was I hoping to get some of the basics before I start the permitting process.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Advertisement

Jeoroc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Extending Patio Slab and adding a cover-img_1218.jpg   Extending Patio Slab and adding a cover-09.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #3

A 4" thick slab is enough for what you are doing. Thicken the Edges to 10 - 12" to support the weight. Use fibermesh in the concrete and 2 rows of 1/2" rebar in the edge.

To connect the slabs together, drill and pin into the existing concrete using 1/2" smooth dowels. Epoxy the dowels into the existing slab. Use an expansion joint material between the two slabs to allow for expansion and contraction.

Post anchors can be installed into the new concrete. You can secure the posts to the existing concrete with post anchors and concrete fasteners.

http://www.everything-about-concrete...on-joints.html

http://www.everything-about-concrete...fasteners.html
Creteexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Creteexpert For This Useful Post:
Jeoroc24 (01-18-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #4

Might want to check with your local building dept. on that. Here in CA, on slab post is limited to post spacing of 6' or less. Larger spans require deeper and larger footings. Usually expressed as 12"x12"x12" etc. Easy enough to do on a new pour, more difficult on existing slabs where you must cut out a square and dig deeper and pour new concrete.
jeffrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffrow1 For This Useful Post:
Jeoroc24 (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys. After consulting with my building department, I plan on pouring 24"x24"x24" footings where the posts will be and then 4" slab every else. This will be easy enough for the new pour, but digging the footers in the existing slab will be challenging.

On to my next set off questions:

I'll be using 6x6 8ft posts. The span between the posts will be 12ft. For these spans I plan on using 2 2x10s. The ridge of the hip roof will be about 14 ft long. I will use a 2x10 for the ridge and 2x8s for the rafters and the hips. Does this sound feasible?

Also, I'm having a difficult time visualizing how to connect the beams at the corners. Initially I though of notching the posts, but using 2 2x10s means I will be cutting into the 6x6 3 inches on each side. Any alternatives? Or is this the best connection?

Extending Patio Slab and adding a cover-roofing-plan.jpg
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Can anyone respond? Thanks.

Advertisement