Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

extending onto existing concrete under veranda

i have a section of veranda that i wish to "wall in" there is a door size floor to ceiling window that I'm going to remove for the door to inside and relocate the window to the new wall... it involves nothing but filling in the gaps between the veranda posts with studs and joists, then cladding the outside with fiberboard and rendering

BUT:

i don't think the concrete has any water barrier (i will check for sure tomorrow) and i am also wondering how to seal the bottom of the wall to the concrete? flashing? caulk? I'm slightly worried about a capillary action happening and drawing water up...

the new wall will be right on the edge of the concrete with lawn on the other side..

any links/ideas/help would be muchly appreciated

absinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm not a carpenter, but I would be inclined to lay a course of 4" concrete blocks around the perimeter of the concrete slab.
Then, I would excavate the perimeter of the slab then apply water proofing around the perimeter, right to the top of the blocks.
I would set bolts into the blocks and install a wooden plate on top of the blocks.
The wall would then be nailed to this plate.
I'll be looking forward to reading comments from those who had experience with this!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

absinthe,

welcome...we of course do not know your skill levels. Pictures of what you have would be an aid to help us help you get to where you want to go.

water tables created..termite shields ... proper distance from grade..proper footings for new structure... many questions could be answered with some good photos.

can you post some?
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Big Bob raised some good points. My first concern would be that a patio slab won't have footings that are needed to support actual structure.

A photo would be a big help!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

i have none on hand at the moment and its 11pm so I'll try and get some shots in the morning...

my skill level is better than average (i have built some shed extensions and helped to make partitions and general home improvements around the place)

as for the footings they are not really in any question as they have the main pole supporting the veranda cemented into them (veranda has a tiled roof and was built with the house) it is only a small section and I'm only building partitions between the veranda poles it will NOT be supporting anything but some plaster and some fibro (and eventually some render).. all I'm worried about is water getting in ether through the concrete or through the joint in the wall to the concrete

thanks for the help i'll get some pics tomorrow
absinthe is offline   Reply With Quote