DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   extending my deck. sistering a 2x12 to a 2x6 joist to gain riase need help (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/extending-my-deck-sistering-2x12-2x6-joist-gain-riase-need-help-179458/)

madmilitia 05-13-2013 02:09 PM

extending my deck. sistering a 2x12 to a 2x6 joist to gain riase need help
 
ok so i level off ground and put in an above ground pool, now i want to extend my deck out 6 feet so that the pool looks like it's under the deck.

my problem is i need to come up 6 inches, my solution is to sister 2x12's tot he excisting 2x6 joists and then use the excisting main support beam. this way i only have to create 1 more support beam near the pool.

i'm worried about struceral integraty though.

can 2 2x6 main support beam handle it if i siste on 2x12s and extend out 7 feet?

maybe this is better explaination

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7283/8...5f501575_m.jpg

Willie T 05-13-2013 02:19 PM

Mad Matilda,

Are you sure the joists lie the way you drew them?

madmilitia 05-13-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie T (Post 1178400)
Mad Matilda,

Are you sure the joists lie the way you drew them?


yeah there is a main support beam that is 2 2x6 nailed togther that sits on 4x4 posts.

the joists are attached to the ledger board and run across the main support.

MJ Force 05-13-2013 02:35 PM

If your adding more deck you may want to increase the size of your beams. 2-2x6 might not cut it. Have a look at a span table also to help determine joist sizes

madmilitia 05-13-2013 02:41 PM

um not sure how to explain it, my deck is just like any other.

is this pic better all i have in paint
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7293/8...4d08afe8_m.jpg

madmilitia 05-13-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Force (Post 1178411)
If your adding more deck you may want to increase the size of your beams. 2-2x6 might not cut it. Have a look at a span table also to help determine joist sizes


ok so you don't think the current 4x6 beam that is there as the main support can handle 2x12's extending out 7 feet.

GBrackins 05-13-2013 02:54 PM

the ability of a beam to support a load is based upon the length of the beam, the tributary load it must support and the species and grade of wood the beam is made from.

we know from the (2)2x6 you are going out another 7 feet, was is the distance from that beam back to another beam or the dwelling? what is the span of the (2)2x6 (distance between 4x4)?

madmilitia 05-13-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBrackins (Post 1178427)
the ability of a beam to support a load is based upon the length of the beam, the tributary load it must support and the species and grade of wood the beam is made from.

we know from the (2)2x6 you are going out another 7 feet, was is the distance from that beam back to another beam or the dwelling? what is the span of the (2)2x6 (distance between 4x4)?



the span of the (2)2x6 beam from 1 4x4 post to another is around 8 feet. the distance from the main (2)2x6 beam to the other support beam (the one that will be by the pool i haven't put it up yet is 5 feet.

MJ Force 05-13-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmilitia

ok so you don't think the current 4x6 beam that is there as the main support can handle 2x12's extending out 7 feet.

How wide is the distance between the post which supports the 3"x5 1/2" (or double 2x6") beam.

Your not try to cantilever 7' right? Your gonna create another beam next to the pool at a desired hight, right? How much cantilever over the pool do you want to create? Or do you?

Why not make the existing beam larger (check span tables) to match the new beam.

Have a look at some deck building techniques or search for deck plans on the net. Might give you some ideas.

It sounds like your trying to marry an old deck to a new deck while reaching out over the pool?

GBrackins 05-13-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmilitia (Post 1178434)
the span of the (2)2x6 beam from 1 4x4 post to another is around 8 feet. the distance from the main (2)2x6 beam to the other support beam (the one that will be by the pool i haven't put it up yet is 5 feet.

how far between the beam and one either back towards the house or the house itself .....

madmilitia 05-13-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Force (Post 1178437)
How wide is the distance between the post which supports the 3"x5 1/2" (or double 2x6") beam.

Your not try to cantilever 7' right? Your gonna create another beam next to the pool at a desired hight, right? How much cantilever over the pool do you want to create? Or do you? ?

no i'm not cantilever, i am building another support beam at the pools edge,


Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Force (Post 1178437)

Why not make the existing beam larger (check span tables) to match the new beam. ?

i'm not sure the best way to do this, if i marry another 2x6 to it will that be enough?

or should i just put in another main support beam right next to it with new footings an all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Force (Post 1178437)

It sounds like your trying to marry an old deck to a new deck while reaching out over the pool?

that is correct, i have an old deck that sits 6 inchs to low and after measureing from the main beam to the top of the pool it's 12 inches which mean if i run 6x12's its at the correct hieght. my only concern is structural integraty

Willie T 05-13-2013 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this what you have in mind? Probably not a problem IF you intend to use (add) the red beam.
A lot depends upon how many support posts you have under the existing beam, and how far apart they are.
BTW, they are not that difficult to add.....

(You're looking at this from the house side.)

madmilitia 05-13-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBrackins (Post 1178439)
how far between the beam and one either back towards the house or the house itself .....

8 feet to another beam that is on those elephant foot concreate blocks, and then 8 feet to the house.

GBrackins 05-13-2013 03:14 PM

I would suggest checking out the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide." This is based upon the 2009 International Residential Code. You would have to verify your code requirements with your local building department.

It is difficult to figure out something you cannot see. Some photos may aid.

madmilitia 05-13-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie T (Post 1178441)
Is this what you have in mind? Probably not a problem IF you intend to use the red beam.


yes that is exactly what i'm trying to do,

now my main question will that already exsting beam support the 2x12s or do i need to add another support beam right next to it.

and yes i will be putting in the red beam


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.