DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Extending on to a house that has subsided in the past

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Aggie67 
#1 ·
We brought our dormer bungalow 3 years ago and discoved that it was built in the 1960s on a small gravel works and did suffer from some subsidence approximatley 10 years ago (a brick built garage next to the house began to crack and was demolished, and the corner of the house has been rebuilt at is sufferd cracking). We currently have plans to extend on to the side of the house (2 storey extension on to where there was once a garage). I am concerned that whilst we have not had any movement since we have been in the house, what the impact of extending the house would be, given that the extension is likely to be built on much deeper foundations than the existing house/dormer bungalow. I would be grateful of any thoughts on whether we should go for it, or are there any considerations that the builder could impliment in the extension to reduce any further movement? Best regards Andy

#4 ·
I have good friends that live in Banbury.

My advice is that if you already know that you have issues with the soil conditions, that you try to talk to as many local professionals about it as possible. Phone calls are free. Call some builders, call some local soil engineers. Get their opinions on the matter.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.