Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Extending a driveway

My driveway has a parking apron that was poorly designed in that it's too short. Cars parked there are an obstacle to backing out of the garage, so we are forced to park 4 feet into the grass.

I'm going to extend the driveway and need a little advice as far as standard practices. The addition will be 6' depth on a 20' wide apron.

Do I need a specif bedding? (Existing soil is sandy loam.)
Do I need any type of footing where the old and new slab will meet?
What size rebar should I use?
How far should I keep rebar from edges and surface? 4" (slab)
On what Centers should I create the grid?
How far into the existing slab should I drill to tie in the rebar?
Best form material to use on a radius corner?

Thanks.

Last edited by gstuartw; 07-18-2011 at 10:58 AM.
gstuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #2

Extending a driveway

What I call an apron is the flared portion where the driveway meets the street, It sounds like you want to make your driveway wider.

Do I need a specif bedding? (Existing soil is sandy loam.) Limestone 1" clean or minus I dont think it would matter what size you use but it must be compact 4"-6" deep
Do I need any type of footing where the old and new slab will meet? no
What size rebar should I use? dont know ?............I'd think #5 would be fine...........someone else may shine some light on this
How far should I keep rebar from edges and surface? 4" (slab) Dont understand the ?............ Maybe drill into the middle of the slab with a nice drill and bit to avoid cracking the surface.
On what Centers should I create the grid? Dont know but I would think 9"-12" would be fine
How far into the existing slab should I drill to tie in the rebar? Again I dont know
Best form material to use on a radius corner? Masonite but someone may have a better idea.

STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STL B. For This Useful Post:
gstuartw (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Extending a driveway

STL B, thanks for your reply. The issue you were confused on...How far should I keep rebar from edges and surface? 4" (slab) had to do with placement of the rebar in the forms. I guess the "surface" part of the question was silly as common sense would dictate I center the rebar in the slab depth wise. Is there a common practice on how far from the edges of the slab one would keep the rebar from? Perhaps its not an issue other than aesthetics?

I build concrete counter tops now and then and position of rebar in the top is important to avoid ghosting as well as chipping or flaking adjacent to rebar too close to the surface.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

Extending a driveway

As for the terminology I chose perhaps "apron" is incorrect. Picture my driveway as a lower case "t". I have garages at each end of the arms of the "t" and the parking "apron" (as I call it) is the top of the "t" that extends out above the arms. I wish to extend the top of the "t" 6 feet. The width of the "apron" is 20 feet thus the 6'x20' addition to the driveway.

Hope this helps and again thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Extending a driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstuartw View Post
My driveway has a parking apron that was poorly designed in that it's too short. Cars parked there are an obstacle to backing out of the garage, so we are forced to park 4 feet into the grass.

I'm going to extend the driveway and need a little advice as far as standard practices. The addition will be 6' depth on a 20' wide apron.

Do I need a specif bedding? (Existing soil is sandy loam.)

W/O surveying the site in person, I'd suggest a min. of 6" of 3/4" gravel.

Do I need any type of footing where the old and new slab will meet?

No.

What size rebar should I use?

For the dowels, I'd suggest anywhere from 3/8" to 5/8".

For the grid, I generally use 3/8" on 3-4' centers. Anything larger in a 4" thick slab is overkill in most situations IMO.

How far should I keep rebar from edges and surface? 4" (slab)

Close to the middle, favoring the bottom if anything.

As for the edges & spacing, I'd stay about a foot in from the perimeter & any joints, and space them at about 2-3'.

On what Centers should I create the grid?

Again, I tend to favor 3/8" on 3-4' centers.

How far into the existing slab should I drill to tie in the rebar?

IMO, 4"+

Best form material to use on a radius corner?

Thanks.
Depending on how tight the radius is, 1/4" Masonite/tempered hardboard for tight radius (~3' or under) and 1/2" siding for moderate radius, and 1x4's for long curves.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
gstuartw (07-20-2011)