Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Extending Door jambs Entry Door????

Ok, so I remodeled the basement and the door really needs replaced. The basement was unfinished, so the past owner put a standard 2x4 fit exit door. The walls are built with 2x6 framing.

So I was expecting to be able to spend below $300 for a full glass pain entry door from Lowes, HD, or somewhere like that. Oh yes, Lowes has exactly what we want, but in a standard width jamb for $220. But to special order the same one with a 6.5" jamb would cost us $600+ .

Would it be possible to build my own extensions? If so, is there anything special that needs to be done besides just building out the jamb to line up with the wall?

The door setup is as follows.. an inswing RH setup.. So to keep the full range of motion for the door, I assume that extensions would have to be on the outside part of the jamb, before the brickmold. So my concerns were with leaks or something like that..
dirtmcgirt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #2

Extend the jambs on the nonhinged side. That way there will be no encumberance on the motion of the door. I would remove the door if it needs to be moved in or out to do this. Set it up on sawhorses and biscuit or pocket screw new primed extensions on. Use exterior wood glue to strengthen the joint. A 6 9/16 jamb is pretty standard and should not be a special order. You'd be best to just chuck the old brickmold. It rots out in few years anyways. Put on some decent trim, pvc trim, or composite.
Before you remove the door make sure you secure the door inside the frame.
If you don't have to remove the door and can leave it exactly where it is, that will be fine to leave it and attach the jamb as noted above as well.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
SDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Extend the jambs on the nonhinged side. That way there will be no encumberance on the motion of the door. I would remove the door if it needs to be moved in or out to do this. Set it up on sawhorses and biscuit or pocket screw new primed extensions on. Use exterior wood glue to strengthen the joint. A 6 9/16 jamb is pretty standard and should not be a special order. You'd be best to just chuck the old brickmold. It rots out in few years anyways. Put on some decent trim, pvc trim, or composite.
Before you remove the door make sure you secure the door inside the frame.
If you don't have to remove the door and can leave it exactly where it is, that will be fine to leave it and attach the jamb as noted above as well.
The problem with this is the sill will not be wide enough to cover,by about 2"
Go to a lumber yard or door/window supplier (not a box store) they will help you it should not cost much more for a 6 9/16" jamb door
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

AH! You beat me to it.
If its an alum. sill they make extensions that you could slide on to make up the difference for this reason.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
SDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
AH! You beat me to it.
If its an alum. sill they make extensions that you could slide on to make up the difference for this reason.
This is true, but for a DIYer, I thought it easier for them to buy a door complete than try to find the extension.

Last edited by SDC; 02-23-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #6

still great what you can get at the old lumber yard
skeeter 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Actually every 2x6 wall window/door I have needed has been special order from HD or Lowes

I build my own, windows they want $100+
My new walls are 2x6
My old walls are 2x5
So I'm getting pretty good at it
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
This is true, but for a DIYer, I thought it easier for them to buy a door complete than try to find the extension.
your correct, A special order door would be the Ideal way to go, But I was under the impression that he did not want to spend the extra money, And he wanted to fab. his Own door unit. thats why I brought to light that you can get a sill expander to solve the problem that you described. I'm not sure about the posters location, but here on the Island there are plenty of places to order one. BOB
Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
SDC

Quote:
Ok, so I remodeled the basement and the door really needs replaced.
Quote:
So I was expecting to be able to spend below $300 for a full glass pain entry door from Lowes, HD, or somewhere like that.
looks like she was planning on buying...until she saw the cost of ordering.
If the door is in a corner...you would not need full motion as it would only open 90* just a thought...

Extending Door jambs Entry Door????-door.jpg

BTW...Bob,
where on long island you from. My dad grew up in Syossett (did I butcher that)
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
If the door is in a corner...you would not need full motion as it would only open 90* just a thought...
Yeah, the door is in the middle of the wall, so it needs to open full motion.. And yeah the price was way more than I expected that's why I thought that I might be able to modify it myself and save a little money.. $400 extra for a wider jamb to me is crazy..

But good news is that I found a door at a small door supplier that is exactly what we wanted, with the 6 9/16" jamb for $250... So it worked out to check around..

Last edited by dirtmcgirt79; 02-24-2009 at 12:19 PM.
dirtmcgirt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:

Attachment 8500

BTW...Bob,
where on long island you from. My dad grew up in Syossett (did I butcher that)
Syosset! done some work work out that way. I'm from Babylon.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #12

I recently bought a 2x6 door with 1/2 glass (fancy design) for just over $100 from HD. It was a special order someone bought & didn't want. It was only a 34" door but it's going in my walk up attic. It will open onto the roof, no more ladders if I need to paint trim or clean the gutters.
Another 36" door I bought for $150 - on clearance
Someone gave me 5' fixed Anderson doors (nerw) for free off Craigslist
I keep my eyes out for deals, plenty to be found
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote