Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extending deck & Pressure treated joist life

extending deck: I have an existing deck that is 24' x 11.5' that i'm extending the width to 18' (or 6.5' extension). I'm also pulling up decking and replacing with Trex deck. I currently have a ledger board against the house and a beam at 10' out supporting the current deck with Joists on 16' OC. To extend I've put another beam 6' out. Question what is the best way to put joists in to achieve the extension? This will not be cantilever. Do i need to run new 18' joists or can i overlap new with old joists and run from the first beam to the new second beam?

Last edited by OR DIY guy; 05-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.
OR DIY guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

In order to answer the questions about the condition of the joists, you need to post quality photos. Otherwise there is NO POSSIBLE WAY for someone on the internet to evaluate the condition of your framing. If you are looking for a consult on the best way to frame your deck, you really should be talking to the local building inspector, as they have a lot to say about allowable means and methods, what code to use etc.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

I would not recommend using used lumber at all, but I worked in Lawrence Mass for a rental company and they wanted anything taken apart reused. I found that, (before PT), reused lumber that had been painted, had outlasted new lumber that was used with it. However joists that had a strip of 30 pound felt on top between joists and decking, had rotted faster than new lumber without. Not one instance, but many. If you don't want to use PT, I would spray the old with bleach, and put a coat of paint on it. Over a hundred years of real time, trumps all the calculations without that experience in my book. It is your call to do what you can accept, as long as the inspector says it is safe.,
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote