Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Extend garage into unwanted bedroom

Hi,
I just purchased a home and need to extend the garage to accomodate my F150. County records show the home is a 3 bedroom, MLS showed it as a 3 bedroom. It has 4 bedrooms, and I don't need or want the 4th bedroom, which shares a common wall with the back of the garage.

My plan is to knock out the common wall between the garage and the bedroom, extending the garage and adding storage room plus more room for the truck, then "move" the common wall between the 4th bedroom and 3rd bedroom. This will make the 3rd bedroom larger, and add much needed room to the garage.

It seems like a simple enough project. I'm a fairly handy gal, and reallyl good at following step by step directions. Also not adverse to getting a little help with this kind of undertaking.

Has anyone done this kind of garage expansion before? Extending from the front is not an option, thanks to the ever present homeowners association restrictions.

Any input would be appreciated.
janmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Too Old

To start I would ask are the other bedrooms reallly bedrooms? Something has changed in the house from what you are saying so what changed? Is the extra bedroom part of the garage and all you have to do is take out a wall? I can not give the answer you need to do a little more investigation on what was added. What is the size of the garage now, standard 12x24 or is it a 2 car garage?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #3

yes, they are all really bedrooms, complete with windows and closets. The master is fine, the remaining 3 bedrooms are smallish-

It is a standard 2 car garage at the moment.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

When you rebuild the common bedroom garage wall, it has to be fire rated (including any doors into the living space). You also need a concrete curb between the garage and living space to prevent flammable liquids from getting into living space.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #5

thanks, thats good info to know
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #6

If you currently have the required curb, that will make it a bit more of a PIA to just remove the wall.

I assume the house is on a slab?

If it really is a real room and not part of a previously modified garage, you might be better off extending the garage in the other direction and increasing the value of your home.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extend garage