Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Share |

Exposed slab

I've been clearing away a jungle in the back of a home we recently purchased, and after clearing everything down to ground level I discovered that one back corner of the slab on the house is not only exposed, but undermined slightly. I initially thought that I had to be wrong and that I was simply looking at a roung edge and that if I dug down I'd find the footer, but there is none. I'm not from Florida, so my wife tells me that it's not uncommon for homes to be set on foundations without footers - where I come from it's standard practice.

Either the builders were really slack when they built this house and didn't make enough allowance for a slope at the back of the property that angles down to a nearby creek, or some of the soil has eroded away through the years. Either way, I have to fix it before we start getting cracks in the slab and walls. I could pack earth back into the area underneath the exposed part of the slab, but I don't know how effective this will be. In the long term I'm planning on putting down some concrete along this section of wall for a walkway and BBQ patio, but that's at least a couple of years away.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Exposed slab-foundation.jpg   Exposed slab-foundation-2.jpg  

stephenbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
DIY staff

Exposed slab

If you don't get any attention here--I could move this to 'concrete and Masonry' for you----Moderator.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

Exposed slab

i would find one of those guys that pumps concrete under sidewalks/etc, in order to raise them.

that would pack the concrete in there good.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Exposed slab

"if I dug down I'd find the footer, but there is none. I'm not from Florida, so my wife tells me that it's not uncommon for homes to be set on foundations without footers - where I come from it's standard practice."

I've never seen one built without footings,and it's pretty much standard practice here too,for permits and inspections through the entire building process,why not check with your local building department,and see if they can come up with the records for you,before you do something that may be unneccessary.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Exposed slab

It's called mud jacking.
And your right there should have been at least a turn down slab.
Not going to do any good to just try and stuff some dirt under it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Exposed slab

it's probably a monolithic slab and footing. I'm originally from south central Florida (Lake Okeechobee/Everglades) and that was how they were done.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote