Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Share |

Exposed Interior Brick Questions

In my kitchen I have taken the plaster off of the brick outside wall. I have repointed the brick and I am wanting to put some sort of finish on the brick. Oddly enough there is very little information on the Internet about interior brick and coating it. My preference is to clear coat it with polyurethane, however I have since read that doing so might cause a few problems, mainly creating a "condensate point" because it is an outside wall and a heated space. I am not sure that information is accurate or not.

My question is: What can I use to put a coating on the brick that is durable enough to withstand being cleaned (read kitchen grease etc) and still allow the natural brick to show? Painting is not an option because I have designed my kitchen to include this natural brick look.

Any suggestions?

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Long-term, are you sure you would want to leave it exposed brick? If it was plastered over, chances are it will be a cheap common brick with no particular claim to appearance.
It might make the kitchen a bit dark and will be difficult to clean, even if coated.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

how about a brick sealer from a masonry supply house the "seal" brick but allow the brick to breath
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Long-term, are you sure you would want to leave it exposed brick? If it was plastered over, chances are it will be a cheap common brick with no particular claim to appearance.
It might make the kitchen a bit dark and will be difficult to clean, even if coated.
I definitely want to keep the brick exposed because my entire kitchen has been designed to include this look. The brick is the same brick on the outside of the house so it looks great.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
how about a brick sealer from a masonry supply house the "seal" brick but allow the brick to breath
I guess the question is if the sealer will be enough to protect the brick and allow it to be cleaned without destroying the sealer.