Exposed I-beam That Will Not Rust? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Zoc

Rewards Points: 10

Exposed i-beam that will not rust?

Hello! First post here

In the plans for my new custom house we are considering to use an exposed i-beam which will be part of a pergola construction.

My question is: How long will it it take for the i-beam to show rust? Are there any different types of i-beams or different treatments that can eliminate or reduce rusting?

We live near the sea and humidity is quite high here.

Thank you

Advertisement

Zoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,644

Steel will rust....wood will rot. How long it takes depends on how well you protect it.

You could use a stainless steel beam....that would be REAL expensive.....and even stainless steel will rust a little in salty climates.

As long as you accept the fact that it will need regular maintenance....use what ever the engineer suggests.

A couple of options....I-beam with a wood cover....you primer and paint the I-beam and then cover it with wood...you could use a rough cut spruce to give it a rustic look....the wood would still need to be painted and maintained...but it would make for maybe easier maintenance.

Regardless of which way you go....the sun will break down any paint you put there...so expect to clean and paint every 5 years or so....maybe longer if you use a really good paint (I'm not a paint expert).

So...for our own curiosity....how about a pic of what your planning to build?

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoc View Post
Hello! First post here

In the plans for my new custom house we are considering to use an exposed i-beam which will be part of a pergola construction.

My question is: How long will it it take for the i-beam to show rust? Are there any different types of i-beams or different treatments that can eliminate or reduce rusting?

Thank you
Ayuh,.... Steel will start rusting almost immediately, unless primed, 'n painted...
Painted steel is probably yer Best option...

An Aluminum beam won't rust, but it'll co$t a $mall fortune...
'n of couse, it'll need to be slightly larger than a like steel beam...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Could see if a glue lam beam would work instead of steel in your application.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 164

There is a type of steel called Cor-Ten which develops a protective crust and rusts no more. Used in bridges, shipping containers etc.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zircon For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (11-30-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoc View Post
Hello! First post here

Thank you
Ask your architect who drew the plans about the company called "Better Header",...they have zinc coated steel flitch plates and I-beams. It's for exterior applications. Here's a link to their website.

Flitch Plate - http://betterheader.com/ccatreated.asp

I-Beam - http://betterheader.com/ibeam.asp

Advertisement