Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Share |

Exposed Foundation Concerns

Hello. I am new to this forum, but I need some advice on a home we are looking to purchase. The house is in foreclosure, and it is questionable how much routine maintenance it has received over the last couple years. There are large sections of exposed foundation block with 1/2" to 1" insulation exterior to the cinder block that is shedding off the house. The real estate agent said that the soil has just washed away from the house and needs regraded. It looks like there are low spots around the house where water would flow towards the house, not away. I don't think there is a crawl space, only a full basement on a concrete slab.

The basement has exposed drywall and an initial coating of drywall mud. The selling agent believes the basement was never finished and the owner moved out while working on it. I want to believe that, but my concern is that water got in the house and the original finished basement was ripped out due to water damage/mold.

Can you please look at the linked photos and let me know what I'm looking at regarding the exposed cinder block? Is the exposed insulation a bad sign that the house has had water penetration or the foundation is compromised? I really appreciate it. My offer is due tomorrow! Thanks.

Pictures:
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/us...h4032/library/

irish4032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Somethings very wrong if there not givng you to give you time have an independent inspector or at least a mason look this house over.
Never ever use one the reailtor suggest!!!
Pictures lack enough detail to know what up.
But your right poor grading in all the pictures.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Just to clarify, there will be an opportunity for an independent inspection. I just wanted to save the cost of getting an inspection done after the purchase agreement was accepted, if I shouldn't even bother moving forward.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

I hate to see a deck attached to a house like that.

It is a shallow, walk-out basement. You should look for a sump-pump pit and/or some tiling which is daylighted on the leeward side of the home. No real reason to have a sump pump in that house if the tiling is done.

Looks like the grade has settled up to 1' around the house. This is normal, but maybe not a foot. So you'll want to replace the insulation as necessary, then bring in dirt to get it up above the insulation and at least one course of brick up. May want to go 3 courses up, because this round of dirt will settle a bit as well.

You can see how far that sidewalk has settled. It will need to be removed and re-done. No big deal.

Typically you will see the AC out of level. The area there has fallen as well.

If you have to ask such questions, you would be well advised to bring someone who knows such things with you when you look at homes.

Don't believe much a realtor has to say.

Regarding the condition of the insulation-this says nothing about whether water has been in the basement. Look for waterproofing behind the insulation. In my area, that is the bare minimum of insulation and chances are if they used the bare minimum, they roll that way.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Thank you for the responses.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Ditto on get a good inspector to look at it. I would bet that window in the third picture will always have leakage problems. Thats not real brick is it?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #7

so someone is foreclosing on it,,, there's plenty of other homes around but, if you just GOTTA have this one, wait til its sold on the court house steps,,, whoever has the lien ( mortgagee ) will bid to protect their interest & then you bid $1 more,,, i'm betting its not worth the upset price, tho

banks do not want to own properties

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation grading