Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |

exposed ceiling rafters

Needing advice on what size rafters i should use if its possible to leave them "exposed" to add a rustic look to the vaulted ceiling. Also material suggestion and install tips are welcomed.
Back ground: 30'x50' trussed "pole barn" built house. site built scissor trusses not holding the roof load by them selves(which is sad b/c its only perlins and metal roof up there), was told by an ENG to install LVL Beam under them(beam leangth is 20') and put rafters between the scissors to take some of the load off the scissors by ruducing the 4'o.c. to 2'o.c. The scissors clear span or vault 30' 3/12 pitch roof and there are 4 scissor trusses 4.o.c making the room vaulted 20' long w/ clear span of 30'. Sorry if i said the same thing twice i just know how much easier it is for yall to have all the info up front. I live in southern oklahoma, snow load not a big deal. My LVL beam i'm getting will hold 2600 p.s.i. (over kill we know but the ENG designed it that way to ensure it wont go anywhere, and i'm good with that)
My plan is to run the "exposed" cedar(or another of your suggested timber) rafters 4"x8" or even 8"x8"(this the part i'm stuck at and need your advice) tied on top of the doulble top plate run up to and tied to the LVL(roughly 16'). Going to install 10 of these. If 2"x's will work i'm good with that to just need to know how deep. and any suggestions on tieing these to the LVL and top plate would be greatly appriciated.......Thank you very much!!!

oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

exposed ceiling rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahoma
Needing advice on what size rafters i should use if its possible to leave them "exposed" to add a rustic look to the vaulted ceiling. Also material suggestion and install tips are welcomed.
Back ground: 30'x50' trussed "pole barn" built house. site built scissor trusses not holding the roof load by them selves(which is sad b/c its only perlins and metal roof up there), was told by an ENG to install LVL Beam under them(beam leangth is 20') and put rafters between the scissors to take some of the load off the scissors by ruducing the 4'o.c. to 2'o.c. The scissors clear span or vault 30' 3/12 pitch roof and there are 4 scissor trusses 4.o.c making the room vaulted 20' long w/ clear span of 30'. Sorry if i said the same thing twice i just know how much easier it is for yall to have all the info up front. I live in southern oklahoma, snow load not a big deal. My LVL beam i'm getting will hold 2600 p.s.i. (over kill we know but the ENG designed it that way to ensure it wont go anywhere, and i'm good with that)
My plan is to run the "exposed" cedar(or another of your suggested timber) rafters 4"x8" or even 8"x8"(this the part i'm stuck at and need your advice) tied on top of the doulble top plate run up to and tied to the LVL(roughly 16'). Going to install 10 of these. If 2"x's will work i'm good with that to just need to know how deep. and any suggestions on tieing these to the LVL and top plate would be greatly appriciated.......Thank you very much!!!
No one hear can possibly answer this. Why don't you simply ask the engineer this since HE knows your roof and no one here does.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

exposed ceiling rafters

Joe is right. Even if you got an answer here (which is unlikely), you'd be a fool to rely on it.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

exposed ceiling rafters

am I getting this right? you want to add rafters into the rafter area in between existing rafters and leave it all open and exposed? will it look ok to have the old and new exposed together? the engineer who gave you plans for the lvl should have also provided new rafter sizing recommendations as well
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote