Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

expanding front door landing???

I would like to expand my existing front door landing in all three directions, as part of a plan to eventually install posts that will support a small roof over the entryway. I'm concerned the weight of the posts would lead to cracking of the new landing if the posts rest on the added area.

How should I address this? It seems a waste to trash the entire landing and start again. Would putting in some sort of footing provide sufficient support? Drilling the sides of the landing and epoxying in rebar into the new concrete? Sawing in a trench across the entire landing, putting in rebar to span the entire new landing and pouring concrete?

Jaansu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

Your there, where not so some pictures would sure help to figure out what you need.
You did not even mention what the stoop you now have is made of.
A simple roof over an entryway does not need a whole lot of support.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaansu View Post
I would like to expand my existing front door landing in all three directions, as part of a plan to eventually install posts that will support a small roof over the entryway. I'm concerned the weight of the posts would lead to cracking of the new landing if the posts rest on the added area.

How should I address this? It seems a waste to trash the entire landing and start again. Would putting in some sort of footing provide sufficient support? Drilling the sides of the landing and epoxying in rebar into the new concrete? Sawing in a trench across the entire landing, putting in rebar to span the entire new landing and pouring concrete?
I assume that the existing landing/deck is concrete, rather than wood.
Generally, its best to remove the present surface and make it one continuous pad. Usually its more work to try and patch to an existing pad than it would be to knock out the old one and have a clear area for the new pad.
If the old pad is not very large its best to get it out of the way.
If its a large one, perhaps preserving it would be worthwhile. But the extension shouldn't be spliced to the old one.
The new pad should have its own footing.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

I neglected to mention that while it is concrete, there is a full top layer of brick that is mortared in place. It probably wouldn't be a lot of effort to remove this layer, allowing 3-5" of new concrete to be poured on top to be continuous with the new side pieces. Some serious iron bars could be incorporated that would allow the future posts to distribute the weight across the entire span. Does this plan make sense?

What sort of footing would the new side landing sections require?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
I neglected to mention that while it is concrete, there is a full top layer of brick that is mortared in place. It probably wouldn't be a lot of effort to remove this layer, allowing 3-5" of new concrete to be poured on top to be continuous with the new side pieces. Some serious iron bars could be incorporated that would allow the future posts to distribute the weight across the entire span. Does this plan make sense?

What sort of footing would the new side landing sections require?
It certainly depends on where you live. Certainly the foundation for the new section would have to be similar to the old one.
The building code in your area may require the foundation to be deeper than the old one. As codes change from time to time.
Keep in mind, that the new pad has a big chance of cracking at the point where it meets the old foundation.
Removal of the brick from the deck, would only allow an additional couple of inches of cement to be poured. That would certainly be a recepe for cracking.
You should have a minmum of 5 1/2" of concrete over the old deck and use a reinforcing mat to tie the old area to the new.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

I could easily increase the new layer of concrete to 6" and still be under the door's threshold, if I remove the brick. It sounds as if I need to explore my township's code about a footing first. I'll post a picture tomorrow to better show what I have going.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
I could easily increase the new layer of concrete to 6" and still be under the door's threshold, if I remove the brick. It sounds as if I need to explore my township's code about a footing first. I'll post a picture tomorrow to better show what I have going.
Thats a good idea and the dimensions of everything is important, including the distance from the top to the grade.
In my area, the surface cannot be more than 23" or hand rail requirements kick in!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Here's a picture of the existing landing. The top layer of brick could be removed to allow pouring 6" of concrete.
Attached Thumbnails
expanding front door landing???-house-april-2012-001.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

Nice looking place that you have there!

For sure the brick work will have to come off, anyway. To lay a slab over the brick would be a mistake.
Do you have any idea of how the existing foundation is constructed?

If you live where frost penetrates the ground, the footing should be at such a depth that there is no dangerfrom lift. In my area this is 48".
When I built a roof over a 14X8 concrete slab like yours, the foundation was only 24" deep.
So I had to underpin the foundation to support the snow load and the piers had to be 48" deep.

In your case it appears that you have to dig a trench for the new footings. A concrete block foundation laid on the footing would be next.
A pan of wood or steel would be constructed to pour the deck cement on, and of course a crib to contain the new deck pour.
Obviously, the new slab would have to be reinforced with rebar or a mat.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Thank you for your kind words. The house is nice but the entry way needs dressing up.
We live near Trenton so the frost line isn't that deep but I will find out what is required for depth of footings.
I didn't point it out but I wish the landing to be deeper as well, so that sinking front step needs to go and a footing built in front as well.
We were thinking bluestone set in the concrete would look nice. Any tricks to installing that?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. The house is nice but the entry way needs dressing up.
We live near Trenton so the frost line isn't that deep but I will find out what is required for depth of footings.
I didn't point it out but I wish the landing to be deeper as well, so that sinking front step needs to go and a footing built in front as well.
We were thinking bluestone set in the concrete would look nice. Any tricks to installing that?
I have laid ceramic tile, but never have set anything like flagstone.

Perhaps some one will chime in here, and give some advice!