expanding foam vs cutting sheets of rigid foam for rim joists
Originally Posted by burnt03
What other things have you done to weatherproof your place?
- sealed the attic
- added cellulose insulation to the attic. Brought it up to, I think, R-58. (paid to have it blown in, but I wish I had done it myself)
- insulated the hatch cover going up into the attic.
- replaced the seal that the hatch door rests on.
- sealed the seams of all accessible heat ducts downstairs with metal tape.
- started insulating the heat ducts. Still need to finish that.
- sealed all of the seams on the furnace with metal tape. The HVAC guy that came out to do the annual checkup on the furnace said it was fine to do that. When I had almost all of the seams sealed, there was a section about 8" long left to do and I couldn't believe the amount of heat coming out of that one spot. I held my hand 8"-10" away and could feel the air blowing past my hand. So I think I was losing a lot of heat through those seams, into non-living space.
- put a damper in the duct for the dryer, inside the house. There was so much cold air coming in through the dryer every time I opened it during the cold months. I thought that was just normal, but for $4 and a little bit of my time, it's much better.
- added foam gaskets to all of the outlets and light switches on exterior walls.
- in one bedroom that was drafty, I removed the base molding. Then I taped newspaper down to the perimeter of the floor and to the lowest part of the wall and sprayed Great Stuff foam into the gap where the floor meets the bottom of the wall. The tape and paper were put down so that when the foam expanded it didn't make a mess. I still need to do that in a couple other rooms.
- sealed the accessible rim joists in the basement with Great Stuff foam.
- replaced a picture window and a garden window (paid to have them installed)
- replaced the drafty front door. (paid to have it installed)
- and a few other things that I can't remember.
After the bill was lowered to $54, the water heater died and we switched over to a 90% efficient A.O. Smith water heater. I don't do any kind of work with gas, electricity or plumbing, so an HVAC company installed the water heater. We also had a new storm door put on the front door. We don't know if those things will help, but hopefully they will.
Another thing I did after the bill was lowered - removed the soffit panels and sprayed the top plates with the same foam AndrewF used for his rim joists. I also sprayed the upper part of the walls that wouldn't be visible after installing the new soffit panels.
Here's a thread I started about a problem I was having with water droplets on my ceiling in cold weather last winter. It ended up being because there was no insulation over the top plates and none over the drywall as far as I could reach into the soffit openings.