Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #1

Share |

Expanding foam insulation, where to find it in Nova Scotia?

I would love to have my garage done with the expanding foam you see Mike Holmes use all the time on TV to insulate complicated surfaces but I can't find a contractor that does it, in fact more often then not I can't find one that even knows what I'm talking about. Is it perhaps not approved for use in Nova Scotia or something? I live near Sydney if anyone knows a contractor that can do it.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Many of the expanding foams are not given a "blanket" approval. This is mainly for the 2 part foams because of variability of the final product due to site adjustment, and temperature and humidity factors.

Where the proprietary brands (licenses, franchises, etc.) are not fighting and knocking each other and offer some sort of proof of training or certification, there is more acceptance. - Otherwise is can be on a job by job or city by city approval process.

Competitive insulating materials do not make approvals any easier.

Because there are insulation values required by code, a supplier/contractor must be able to demonstrate that the advertised values can be obtained in all cases. Any ability to affect the product on site makes guarantees very difficult. - Just like the no-no when it comes to adding water to concrete on site.

Often, a national approval does not apply everywhere.

I bring this up because I see it frequently when it comes to approving materials and designs for large areas where there can be variability. What is good in one area may not be as good in another, so it is difficult (and expensive) to get blanket approvals.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-16-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g View Post
I would love to have my garage done with the expanding foam you see Mike Holmes use all the time on TV to insulate complicated surfaces but I can't find a contractor that does it, in fact more often then not I can't find one that even knows what I'm talking about. Is it perhaps not approved for use in Nova Scotia or something? I live near Sydney if anyone knows a contractor that can do it.

What you are looking for is ICYNENE, just in case you didn't know what to ask for when you call insulation companies....Outside of that....I can't help you because we are in the States....Maybe someone else....
Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #4

Ah, that's the stuff. I assume it comes in other brand names though, the one I've seen used on TV is usually pink or blue.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #5

You're right, the blue stuff is what Holmes usually uses, and it's polyeurathane based - Icynene is white, and doesn't cure up as hard, and it's water-based. Try calling a few insualtion contractors and asking them - theyd be more likely to know someone in town that does spray foam.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayfoam View Post
Advertising info removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFERBRC View Post
Advertising info removed.

I have a 1232 sq.ft basement of 2x8 joist in an older home, in Digby Nova Scotia, B0V1A0, half of which is in a 3 1/2 ft. to 4ft. crawlspace; the other half is about 5ft. 8 in. in height, I would like sealed, including the facer boards. could I get an approximate quote, for an R-7 and or an R-14 value, as money is tight do you offer a payment plan.

Thank you
Mr. Higgins

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 06-28-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Advertising info removed
Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
RDS

Mr. Higgins,

Please just call the contractors directly at the numbers provided. This forum is not your email system. Everyone can read your messages.

Thanks.
Closed Thread