Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Share |

expanding existing concrete pad for shed

I have a unique foundation for my shed:

There is a 110" x 73" pad of concrete, surrounded on all sides by cinderblocks. On top of the cinderblocks is old, half-rotted wood, on which the shed is mounted to.

I wish to pull out the wood and cinderblocks, lay down some gravel (or other type of rock), and pour a 4" deep concrete "ring" around the existing slab. I plan on using lead anchors and stainless steel lag bolts in the existing slab to anchor the new concrete into place.

My question is, do I need to put down any rebar and/or wire mesh in the new concrete, or is it a non-issue since the max width won't exceed 8 inches? The only things that will be stored in the shed are a pushmower, wheelbarrow, and garden tools, and they will most likely sit on the existing concrete slab in the center of the shed. The heaviest thing that will sit on the new concrete is the shed itself.

A second question is, should I put in control joints?

lz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #2

expanding existing concrete pad for shed

if you are only pouring 8 inches wide you should pour at lesat 6 inches deep, perferably 8 inches deep you should put 1 row of rebar to distribute weight on such a small pour. if you are on sand you dont need stone.

jason h is offline   Reply With Quote