Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Share |

Existing cinder block wall is still true.

Cinder block wall is 5'x50'. Wall was installed 40 ago and is still true shows no sign of movement.. Can I lay rail road ties on the face and how can I attach them to the cinder blocks. I can't see removing blocks since wall is still shows no sign of movement and not removing blocks would be 1 less thing going to landfill.

orphanedious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

It's my wife's fault. Last night, she said that she didn't feel like cooking, and asked that I take take her out to dinner, which I did. I never should have had that second drink, because I have no idea what this question refers to? Can you provide some more details, perhaps with a picture or drawing attached?

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
just a tool guy

Sounds like he wants to veneer the wall with RR Ties. That'll make it move! dig around the wall to find the footing, and make sure it'r good and deep. A five foot stack of rr ties is gonna be heavy! (If I read your question right) A pic or two would help.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #4

You're probably right Mickey, as now that you mention it, it does sound like something like that. Orphan, if this is what you had in mind, as Mickey said, the footing would be a concern, as would the mortar bed that the blocks are set in, the condition and integrity of the wall, particularly after 40 years, and whether or not the wall is connected to the footing with adequate reinforcement to support the added load. It sounds like an awful lot of weight to throw on that wall, particularly when it is not a straight down load.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Work Hard, Play Harder

OMG Don't do it! Watching my neighbors rr ties disintegrate and become an ugly wall of doom is disturbing enough. Save your lawn/yard/whatever!
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

If you want to cover the blocks, attach vertical furring strips to the block and install 5/4" x6" wood on the furring strips. Cap it with wood or stone. It covers the wood, doesn't compromise the cinderblock structure and nothing goes to the landfill.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote