Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Everdry? ever right?

Has anyone used everydry's multi step process to combat moisture in a basement?

We bought a repo w/ a walkout basement last year and are now running into a problem w/ moisture and mustiness, some green mold too ick
I have two sump holes in the basement, but have not used them

Everydry person found 4 cracks 2 all the way through inside and out in our basement wall (only the wall that is completely underground)

I am not so sure we need to spend $17,000 to fix this problem?

But i have been told dehumidifiers cause lime to leach faster from cement?

anyone have any advice?
I don't think we can afford everydry's solution, and it doesn't all add up to me.

MeganVonDeylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Everdry? ever right?

If they are telling you they can remedy your moisture issues all from the inside they are trying to sell you total BS...

Moisture in basement spaces needs to be dealt with from the exterior to be a long-term solution. Any "first-steps" done from the interior are totally temporary and bound to fail...

coderguy (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Everdry? ever right?

They told me i needed work done on it inside and out, but the inside work they want to sell me I dont' need. There is already a tile system in place in this basement. Had the neighbor out who's nephew had the place built and he said there is tiling under the cement and the sump pits are meant to have a pump in them and pull that out.

So we are starting there, then my husband and I are pretty confident we can do the same thing everdry was talking about doing on the outside. all they were going to do is dig down just below the frostline put a drain tile in and river rock, and continue the tile out to however far is mandated by local ordinance. pretty simple. Oh and they were going to repaint the tar that is used as a moisture barrier on the outside of the basement.

My husband and I talked about going one step farther after all that is done, we talked about getting a sealant to paint on the inside of the basement to help provide another moisture barrier.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,138

Everdry? ever right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganVonDeylen View Post
They told me i needed work done on it inside and out, but the inside work they want to sell me I dont' need. There is already a tile system in place in this basement. Had the neighbor out who's nephew had the place built and he said there is tiling under the cement and the sump pits are meant to have a pump in them and pull that out.

So we are starting there, then my husband and I are pretty confident we can do the same thing everdry was talking about doing on the outside. all they were going to do is dig down just below the frostline put a drain tile in and river rock, and continue the tile out to however far is mandated by local ordinance. pretty simple. Oh and they were going to repaint the tar that is used as a moisture barrier on the outside of the basement.

If you're willing to go through that amount of work, you may as well complete the job, and expect far better results, by digging all the way to the bottom of the footing. Dig next to the footing & replace the exterior draintile, flush the bleeder tile, re-apply a damproof coating, & install something over it to protect the coating.

My husband and I talked about going one step farther after all that is done, we talked about getting a sealant to paint on the inside of the basement to help provide another moisture barrier.
Believe it or not, that's actually a step backwards. It is temporary at best, and it will leave a mes of a job in the future for someone else to deal with. Skip the interior coating, period.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #5

Everdry? ever right?

So what is the proper way to keep the interior concrete in good shape and be able to finish it off? My great grandfather used a rubber type coating on his interior basement walls and didnt have a problem for 50 yrs, in fact there still havent been any issues with that basement since he passed 20 + yrs ago. Of course he had the exterior done properly as well when he built the house
Old 08-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,138

Everdry? ever right?

Quote:
So what is the proper way to keep the interior concrete in good shape and be able to finish it off? My great grandfather used a rubber type coating on his interior basement walls and didnt have a problem for 50 yrs, in fact there still havent been any issues with that basement since he passed 20 + yrs ago. Of course he had the exterior done properly as well when he built the house
The interior coating isn't what made the basement dry, the exterior work did. If a wall leaks through the exterior shell, it will eventually destroy the interior coating unless the interior cavity is detailed perfectly.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Everdry? ever right?

Quote:
Of course he had the exterior done properly as well when he built the house
That's the reason in interior coating has lasted 50 years.