Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Estimating Materials

Howdy I'm Colby and I'm going to TSTC and I doing a project in a family houseing unit on my college campus where we are taking out a rotted floor system. It rotted because of mold caused by severe moisture exposure over a long period of time. Anyways the house's old floor system is supported by three built up wood girders and floor joists. The girders need to be taken out in some places and replaced, the sole plate does need to be replaced and so do several floor joist that rotten. So far this is what I have down for what I will need to fix the floor system, am I forgetting anything?

What I have down

* new floor joists

* poly for protecting the new floor system from the ground up

* sheet rock for replacing some rotten sheet rock

* 2 X 4 studs for replacing the bottom of rotten studs or the studs completely

* 1 x 4's for the new sole plate

* plywood for new sub floor

* drywall screws

# We have all the tools we need by the way : - )

# My teacher told me not to worry so much about costs but to be more concerned with having all the neccessary parts for this estimate

* My instructor also told me not to include nails into the estimate because he already has nails for the project

Does anyone know if I might be forgetting something ?

Any help would be great ! Thanks for reading my post

Colby

Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #2

Estimating Materials

The floor/ceiling system of the family housing unit is likely a fire assembly as well. Hopefully your work will include the appropriate UL or GA listed assembly and installation practices for the fire resistive system. Of course this sort of work will likely require state permits since you're working on the campus of a state-owned university.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #3

Estimating Materials

Do we get credit for doing your homework? Just a mention in the credits will do.
The top and bottom plates should be 2x4's or 2x'6's, not 1x4's. You might need the appropriate sized joist hangers. It depends on the setup.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #4

Smile

Estimating Materials

Thanks everyone for your help. Ron I will happily cite the fact that you helped me along with everyone else who has helped me into the credits of my report. : - ) On the issue with the permits, I'm sure that has been taken care of because my teacher, Mr.Hubbard, is the Head Supervisor / Head Official in charge of the Building Construction Program which I am studying in and I'm pretty sure thats not a problem because he is a part of TSTC. Thanks for pointing that out. Ron - by putting you into the credits - you mean in my report right ? Just want to make sure that I'm doing exactly what your asking because I'm thankful of your and everyone's generous help.

Last edited by Colby; 03-18-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Smileys were too redundent
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costs, estimate, materials