Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

Estimate for plans + permits + sub-foundation stuff + foundation?

About how much would it cost me to have someone ELSE do my building plan + site plan + all those permits + sub-foundation electrical/plumbing + monolithic slab on grade foundation + appropriate rebar straights?

The shape I want is a simple 60x40 rectangle, onto which I would DIY dry stack and surface bond cement a two-story concrete block house.

I feel like I can handle everything AFTER the foundation is there.

I'm more scared of the permits than building the foundation. So if there are people who just do all the permits for me please tell me what they are called. (What has this world come to?)

shinyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
JOATMON

A lot depends on where you live....Arkansawww....."Permits? Who needs permits? Hey, buba, gota job for ya"

Otherwise, prices are all over the place.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Northwest Florida. Median house price of similar houses/similar location here is 200k.
The list of permits in both counties nearby is so long that they have published guides for owner/builders.
shinyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
DIY staff

Many permit offices hold a per-permit class or meeting,where they will review your drawings to see if they are acceptable--show you what forms need to be filled out and just generally let you know how the process works.

Call or better yet--drop in to the permit office and let them know what you would like to do--ask about drawings and what paper work will be required.

The process can get frustrating if you don't know the rules.

I worked with a designer/draftsman that would get the permit for me (for a reasonable fee)

Be friendly--ask questions---Mike----
AndyGump (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Mod

Where I’m from you simply go in, tell them what you want to do and they’d give you the appropriate “permit packet” that would have all of the forms and explain everything you needed to do and supply them with to get a permit. Nothing scary about it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

If you live in a place that has an HOA then usually the Building Department will require the HOA to sign off on the design first.
Then you should have a basic set of plans to take to your Planning Department for them to check out for things like height restriction, setbacks, window placements. design and color schemes, etc.
Work those details out then get engineering on the project,
After engineering you can get the permits, the first go-round in the permit phase will probably have corrections, when those are taken care resubmit the plans.
At this time you can get quotes from contractors for the grading, foundation and rough plumbing, etc.
Then you will have a set of plans that you can do a take-off of for materials and such.
That is a quick over-view and there are lots more details to take care of but I think it gets the point across.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote