Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Eroding Bricks

My mom's home is about 30 years old and is all brick. It is in Florida. The bricks are white and I guess they were "used brick" as the corners are rounded or at least not perfectly square. Anyway, in some places they are eroding and all that is left is the mortar between them. It is hard to determine the exact cause, as some are where a sprinkler has hit them repeatedly over the years, others are where mold or mildew might be the culprit, but others are just eroding. We have been told that perhaps they weren't Fired at the optimum temperature when they were made...but not sure.

Anyway, I am attaching pictures of the problem and would love to have suggestions as to how to go about fixing it. I don't think it is a structural problem, as the house is framed behind the brick..but would like it to not be an eye sore, or obvious mess. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Eroding Bricks-dsc00930-large-.jpg   Eroding Bricks-dsc00931-large-.jpg   Eroding Bricks-dsc00932-large-.jpg   Eroding Bricks-dsc00933-large-.jpg   Eroding Bricks-dsc00926-large-.jpg  

Eroding Bricks-dsc00927-large-.jpg  

mfwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Eroding Bricks

If that brick was spalling I would suspect the builder used MW grade brick in an area with a freezing conditions, but that looks as though it's "dissolving" - perhaps sub-standard brick from Mexico, or a locally produced product intended for decorative indoor use? In any case the veneer will likely need to be entirely rebuilt, or covered with another cladding material.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-15-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #3

Eroding Bricks

This doesn't look like a full brick. It looks like it's only an inch or so thick, unless the pictures are distorting my depth perception.
The issue seems to only be in that corner where there is definite evidence of moisture.
Fix the sprinkler system and call in a mason or two for a solution.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #4

Eroding Bricks

Low fired brick and moisture. Remove the source of moisture, cut out the bad brick and replace.