Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Equipment shed questions

I have a couple of questions on planning a lawn mower, etc shed. Size will be 8x16, give or take. I am putting it next to a 12x16 storage building that is now full of "stuff."

This will be as simple as possible, both for time and money's sake, not to mention my meager building skills. The purpose is to get the equipment out of the weather and somewhat secured. I have a privacy fence there now to hide the junk which should serve to screen the equipment from view. I live in the country so I'm more less free to do what I want.

I am thinking of a pole barn type project with a tin roof. I have 4x4 posts available and some used tin. The tin sheets are 10 feet long. For now bare ground is fine. I have two riding mowers, tiller, etc., about six pieces total. Plus room for wheelbarrow, shovels, fertilizer/seed bags, etc. We might get an inch of snow this weekend and ice every few years (Atlanta, GA area).

In keeping with the present storage building, I am thinking 7 feet on the front and 6'6" on the back. That should be plenty of headroom. I presume that 6 inches in 10 feet will be adequate slope. Or not?

Should the tin go horizontal or vertical? I've seen it both ways, just wondered about pros and cons.

What spacing should I use for the purlins? I'm thinking the posts at 8 ft with 2x at 4 ft on edge and then 2x across the top to nail/screw the tin to.