Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #1

Share |

epoxy coating for waterproof deck

I want to create a carport below part of my redwood deck, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I have seen the aluminum systems and such (lockdry, duradeck, etc.) and they are too expensive. Instead, I plan to remove the deck surface, put down 1 1/2 inch of plywood, then cover with an epoxy coating to create a waterproof surface. Several neighbors have done this over garages, and I realize it doesn't look as nice as a "real" deck surface, but it'll be acceptable for us. So, my question is, does anybody have experience using any of the epoxy coatings in this kind of application? I've found several different products online (Sonoguard Deck Waterproofing is one example), which vary widely in price, but I can't seem to find any unbiased info on which are better. None of the neighbors can recall exactly which brand they used. Thanks.

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Hey There,

Epoxy coating is a good solution for waterproofing decks and concrete surfaces. Although, ply wood is a very porous and epoxy may not be the best solution to your problem. Another good option you may want to look into would be the various deck sealers that they offer in hardware stores. Just make sure that it would be the best thing for your problem.

Best Regards,
John

industrial epoxy flooring|epoxy floor coating

JCroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

if you weren't such a boob you'd have said where you live so responses could consider expansion/contraction,,, epoxies aren't uv-resistant however many coatings are,,, your biggest issues will be the proper prep & mtl selection.

i don't know of ANY mtls found at any apron/hardware store,,, look at a commercial contractor supply house instead.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Epoxies are hard and brittle. They don't take well to expansion and contraction. They also don't breath much. To waterproof a wood surface, you should look at an elastomeric coating that can move a little bit with your wood substrate.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote