Entry Door Install - Out Of Plumb Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Entry Door Install - Out of plumb wall

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with installing an entry door on an out of plumb wall. The wall I'm putting this one is out of plumb by about 3/8" over the 85" RO. When I put the door in place and align the bottom flush with the outside side of wall, the top is proud by the 3/8". How do I deal with this? I don't want to make a descision that will bite me in the a$$ down the line. Do I line up the bottom and try to deal with the trim at the top or align the top and deal with the trim at the bottom? The door is a mahogany prehung door, no preinstalled trim (brickmold).
Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

you could cut the sheathing back on the bottom the 3/8" and let the bottom of the door fade into the wall.

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You need to deal with the door frame first and formost. The legs need to be parallel to one another and in the same plane with one another. They don't have to be plumb. If the legs are not parallel, the door won't close properly. You will need to set the door so when it closes it makes contact with the frame at the top and bottom at the same time. Since the door has no brick molding to set into the opening, tack on two 1x2's or3's or 4's, etc on to the frame legs so they extend past the opening. Make sure the legs are parallel to one another. Set the door into the opening so the boards rest against the house. Set the shims and temporarily secure the door, hinge side first. Make sure the door frame is square to itself. and the gaps are uniform around the door. Any projections of the frame on either side of the door can be concealed by making adjustments in the moldings. You might have to rout out a section to compensate for the out of plumb opening. I don't know if when you ordered the door you ordered the correct jamb width to compensate for the out of plumb issue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

The door will be true to itself but getting true to the wall is difficult. The easiest thing for me is to not makeup the entire 3/8" but leave it out of plumb on that dimension by 3/16-1/4". I tested it and the door seems to work perfectly. I was worried that it would swing open on its own but it does stay put wherever in the swing you leave it.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sure, you can split the difference in the opening between inside and out. Each door opening will have it's own eccentricities, especially in older houses. You just have to play with the door until you reach a happy compromise in position.
Glad you found the compromise for yours.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote