Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
SAS

Share |

Enlarging brick opening for garage door.

I've got a ~90-year-old 3-stall garage that is constructed entirely of old clay standard-sized brick with a wooden roof just sitting on top of the brick structure. The brick is in good shape. It's not sagging or cracked. All walls are ~6 inches thick.

I'm in the process of building walls inside of the garage to support/connect the roof, etc. I started measuring and realized that the garage door openings are only ~6 ft 2 inches high. The old doors have rotted away so I need to get something to replace them. However, there's nothing in this size. Furthermore this height is very short and impractical.

Is it wise to try to raise the height of the brick opening? Currently a thick piece of metal spans the top of the 8-foot opening. The rest of the brick (4 more feet) sits on top of this metal.

If this is a do-able project how would I go about this? If this isn't a good idea - what are my other options?
Thanks for your help.

SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #2

that ' thick piece of metal ' is called a 'lintel' & holds up the bricks,,, unless you know your stuff, hire this,,, otherwise you'll be stacking bricks in the driveway after they all fall down.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Danger Will Robinson!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #4

Hi, SAS. I would pay a brick mason to see if your structure is healthy or not. Height involves cutting with a gas cut-off saw (diamond blade) new opening size and wood trim (head and jambs), install a new steel L - shaped lintel to hold up the brick above. Remove 8" brick each side of jambs for lintel to bear on, replace bricks. Fasten wood framing to bricks, fasten trim to bricks, caulk gaps. Very involved DIY project. Garage doors come in standard and custom sizes. Rough opening size plus trim, and 12" head height for torsion springs, 10" for torsion bar. They also make a tight-radius track for low clearance. Be safe, BGAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
Garage doors come in standard and custom sizes. Rough opening size plus trim, and 12" head height for torsion springs, 10" for torsion bar. They also make a tight-radius track for low clearance. Be safe, BGAR
I've seen some custom carriage doors that can be made to this size - the problem is that with 3 bays I'm looking at $5-10K. Do you know of any other door options at the 6 foot height? There is plenty of room above.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
that ' thick piece of metal ' is called a 'lintel' & holds up the bricks,,, unless you know your stuff, hire this,,, otherwise you'll be stacking bricks in the driveway after they all fall down.
Thanks - so it doesn't sound like a DIY project, which is good to know now rather than later.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #7

that's not a problem - you'll invest more the other way,,, you guys always want to fit 5gal of wtr into 4gal buckets,,, there's a reason you're not getting much support ,,, THIS AIN'T NO DIY JOB,,, were anyone experienced in building/remodeling/repairs, they'd know that in adv & call a pro,,, you might need stamp'd plans & a licens'd contractor, too,,, don't forget insurance co's LOVE to find ANY reason NOT to pay claims,,, the other option's hanging blankets
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
don't forget insurance co's LOVE to find ANY reason NOT to pay claims
Painting with a wide brush much?
Not all companies are like that.
I do insurance work and I disagree with that....

They do however find a GOOD reason not to and you would do the same if you owned one.
If you wouldn't, then please start one up and let me help you go out of business....

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, door, garage, mason, walls