Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Low Voltage Fun

Share |

Enlarding a hole in firebreak

I've got a 1/2" hole in the firebreak that I need to increase to 1" to accamidate wires.

My problem is bellhanger bits only go up to 1/2" and trying to get a self starting bit going in a preexisting hole is a bear - especial when you can't see what you're doing...

Any suggestions on what type of bit (w/48" extension) to use?

Thanks!
winesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #2

By "firebreak" I assume you actually mean firewall. Let me first say that you should never, never drill into a firewall assembly unless you are capable of properly firesealing the penetration. Firewalls are listed, as are the individual penetrations, and must be done in a very certain way in order to maintain fire resistance. Intumescent firecaulk would be appropriate, but if you can't get closer than 48" to the hole there's little chance that you'll be able to properly firestop the penetration.

1" flexible installers/bellhangers bits are available at most home centers in lengths around 5'. They're intended for drilling holes in plates for cut-in boxes in sheetrocked walls, but would work great for your application. They're flexible but not droopy if that makes any sense...They only flex when you bend them. Greenlee is one manufacturer of such bits.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Low Voltage Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
By "firebreak" I assume you actually mean firewall. Let me first say that you should never, never drill into a firewall assembly unless you are capable of properly firesealing the penetration. Firewalls are listed, as are the individual penetrations, and must be done in a very certain way in order to maintain fire resistance. Intumescent firecaulk would be appropriate, but if you can't get closer than 48" to the hole there's little chance that you'll be able to properly firestop the penetration.

1" flexible installers/bellhangers bits are available at most home centers in lengths around 5'. They're intended for drilling holes in plates for cut-in boxes in sheetrocked walls, but would work great for your application. They're flexible but not droopy if that makes any sense...They only flex when you bend them. Greenlee is one manufacturer of such bits.
Great thanks. I was also looking the Rebor-Zit by LSD. The have them 3/4" to 1" as well.
winesmile is offline   Reply With Quote