Engineer Or Architect? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

engineer or architect?

I bought a 18' x35' 1928 wood cottage. I want to take out 2 nonsupporting walls, vault the ceiling in one rm (12x18) and drop ceiling in another rm (12X12)to give height for a loft above. I have no idea what this would cost.

Do i need to hire an architect or engineer? Or directly to a builder. And how do i make sure i hired a good one.

Advertisement

jersey joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

engineer or architect?

It all depends. If you hire a builder he will take care of every thing from ground up. If your to hire a draftsman IMO they run a bit cheaper than the others. Then you do all the work. To make sure you have a good Draftsman or Builder you need referrals. Friends, Neighbors, Or walk to a job in progress,which IMO is the best way. Ask who what where and how of things. Check out older work done. Most good professionals will have a complete work done photo album and numbers as so you will be able to call the old accounts. But the best is when you see work in progress. Do not be afraid to walk right up and ask questions to either the builder,neighbors, or the Home owners. Builder questions would be Do you have referrals, jobs completed, Phone numbers of home owners that have had work done. Neighbors questions would be,How were the workers around the house, How long did it take to get the job done? Were the workers to loud.Loud radios,cussing and swearing. Did the contractors block their drive way? Get my point? Home Owners would be all the above questions. Even with all that, I have herd some bad reports. All you can do is your best. Stay on top of things. Hopefully after all has been said and done your having a great time with your remodel. Good Luck...........

Advertisement

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote