Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Energy Star tax credit

I'm looking to install DH windows in my home. I understand there is a tax credit of 30 percent of the windows cost (not the installation) limited to a max of $1,500 under the recently passed Stimulus Plan. The first estimate for 7 DH windows was $8,700+....I would get a manufacturer's certification that would entitle me to a $600 tax credit. Doing the math it tells me that the manufacturers cost is $2,000....(30 percent of 2,000 is 600). Thus the installation cost would be $6,750.
Are my figures wrong? Where are my calculations awry? $6,750 for a day and a half's work? These are Andersen windows. I know you get what you pay for but have I missed something....? I'm in the Northeast.

pastrypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Energy Star tax credit

Verify with the installer
Some windows DO NOT MEET the requirements
So you might be buying windows that do not qualify

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Energy Star tax credit

your math looks right...that equates to about $285 per window (I don't know window size, but Anderson windwos can be more or less expensive than this). Labor price seems high, but that's why I DIY - I can't stand to pay for something I can do!
red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 264

Energy Star tax credit

We're looking at windows now, and Dave's right, some qualify, some don't. This can be especially interesting when you get into a combination unit, say double hungs on the side and a picture window in the middle. The double hungs might qualify w/one type of glass, but the picture window, because of the glass size, may need a different type of glass. So if you upgrade the picture, do you also upgrade the others so they look the same?

The nice thing about the credit (and remember, it's a credit, not a deduction ) is that it can actually make more expensive windows cheaper than cheaper windows. eg: A $500 window w/$150 back is now cheaper than a $400 window.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #5

Energy Star tax credit

I ordered 3 Anderson windows (2 TW double hung to flank a picture window) & the upgraded glass was $20 more per window
I had fractional grille on the picture window - exterior/interior
If I had the seperated grille "between" the glass then it would not qualify
Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Energy Star tax credit

Many companies mark up their material cost to the consumer to cover overhead expenses.,
That's the cost he's selling the windows to you for.
He should give you a receipt for the marked up cost of the window to you,plus the cost of any related and qualifying material costs.
Caulks and spray foam and other material used to install the window can qualify for the credit;
Check this link:
http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

Energy Star tax credit

So the cost I get to multiply by 0.3 is the cost I, the consumer, pay? Great! Can I cut a deal w/the installer that the installation is free, but the window is darn expensive?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Energy Star tax credit

Many companies mark up their material cost to the consumer to cover overhead expenses.,
That's the cost he's selling the windows to you for.
He should give you a receipt for the marked up cost of the window to you,plus the cost of any related and qualifying material costs.
Caulks and spray foam and other material used to install the window can qualify for the credit;
Check this link:
http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1

The total cost of installing the windows may include alterations to existing siding and/or interior finish.
The openings may have to be enlarged and headers installed,complicating the installation,therefore it is hard to determine wether the price is in line ,without more facts.

Where in the Northeast are you?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

Energy Star tax credit

Oldfrt, was #8 in response to #7? I was being sarcastic (was I?) that I (the proverbial consumer) could cut a deal where the installer didn't charge me for the installation, but instead just had be pay a huge markup on the window. Since installation doesn't qualify for the credit, but the markup does.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Energy Star tax credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
Oldfrt, was #8 in response to #7? I was being sarcastic (was I?) that I (the proverbial consumer) could cut a deal where the installer didn't charge me for the installation, but instead just had be pay a huge markup on the window. Since installation doesn't qualify for the credit, but the markup does.
That was an accidental double post after editing.

I'd say the installer has to stay within the realm of his normal bookeeping practices .
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #11

Energy Star tax credit

I believe that the windows will be 'custom' made. I say that with tongue in cheek as I live in a pre-war (2nd) colonial and I think the DH's are a pretty standard size. Also these are replacement windows and relatively little work will be required except for some capping around the windows (replacing the existing capping). Of course, there will be insulation and caulking done. I don't question the overall price as much as only getting a $600 tax credit for an $8,700+ job. The manufacturers cost ($2,000) just doesn't make sense to me....but maybe there is a logical explanation as I recognize that the process of installation is just as important as the quality of the window.

For oldfrt, I live on Long Island.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #12

Energy Star tax credit

7 windows at HD would run me about $2k
If it's a simple install then $6700 is a crazy price for installation
I've heard of costs average around $125 per window for installation
Your install cost is $300 per window

This is an estimate, you haven't signed on yet?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #13

Energy Star tax credit

No, I've not signed anything yet but I'm certain the contractor wanted to me sign on "the dotted line" asap.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #14

Energy Star tax credit

Also, if the cost of the 7 windows are $2,000 then the installation per window is roughly $950. Remember, I've based the cost per window by backing up from the tax credit of $600....now if the tax credit was $1,200 that might make the window cost $4,000 or about $570 per. If they are custom made... well, etc. etc. there are a lot of variables here.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #15

Energy Star tax credit

Wooops....your right - I was multiplying wrong

Has the person verified that all 7 windows meet the requirments for the credit?

Something doesn't add up
Do they have to hand carry these up 100 flights of stairs