Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

Share |

End gable studs

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to cut end gable studs since they sit on the double top plate of the end gable but they meet the end rafters that are on end. Not sure how to make that work.

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

End gable studs

I'm quite confused with how it looked liked.

roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

End gable studs

Mark,
I think I understand what you are asking. I lay out the 16" centers on the double top plate. Then I use a level that's long enough to reach the end rafters above and mark them out to match. Measure each one and cut it to length to reach the top edge of the rafter on the uphill edge. Hold it in place and mark with a pencil on the back where it crosses the bottem edge of the rafter. This should be your roof pitch. You then need to draw a perpendicular line off each end of your pencil mark, which will be on the 1 1/2" edge of the stud. Measure out on your new line 1 1/2" and make a mark. Draw a parallel line from there to the top of the stud. What you should have now is a 1 1/2" line on the face of your stud that indicates the section that needs to be removed. You can cut it with a circular saw. A little overrun on your cut in the corner where the lines meet won't hurt anything. Now you should be able to hold the stud up and have the bottom angle sit tight under your rafter and the rest of the stud should continue up to the top of the rafter. The top of the rafter should have the same angle cut on it, but it isn't mandatory. Just looks neater. Now you can nail through the back of the rafter into the top of the stud that overlaps the rafter. And toenail the bottom into the plate. It really isn't hard to do and when you get done, people will think you know what you're doing. Hope it makes sense.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

End gable studs

another way to do it is to add a top plate up under last rafter that is flush to the outer edge of said rafter and flush with outer edge of wall. then frame studs into the opening setting studs onto double wall top plates and then cutting the angle on the studs at the top up under rafter plate to accommodate the roof pitch angle. frame it sixteen inch centers just like any other wall...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote