Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

enclosing sunroom open joist celing

We have an enclosed sun room that has an open joist celing. I looks like it was enclosed and insulated at one point but they appear to have taken it down and just left the exposed beams and the barnboard (best i can describe it) paneling attached to the celing.

We were considering enclosing it again with drywall but I'm afraid of mold because there's no good way to vent it. It appears that the ceiling is well sealed and where there could have been vents they've tapped in 2x6 and caulked the heck out of it.

I'd considered putting in sleepers on the joists to allow air flow and putting in vents on both sides but dont want to if I dont have to.

Any thoughts or advice?? I've read conflicting stories...

linzyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

It can be made to look sharp both ways.

Cleaning Up or modifying the post and beam structure or enclosing.

If enclosing add the correct vents.

Mr. Inspection Office is usually very helpful.

darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You'll definately want to cross-ventilate that portion of attic if you enclose it. Mold doesn't concern me that much in the attic unless you're in a very humid climate, but if you're paying to cool that room you'll be glad you vented the room this summer. Just cut in some soffit vents (easy) and pay a roofer to add a couple roof vents for you.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys. Here's the next question If I enclose it and want to keep the catheral pitch it has now should I vent at the end of each section (because there'd be no cross venting possible) or drop the celing a few inches using 2x4's periodically on the existing beams to allow for cross vent air flow?

I wasn't sure if few inches (say 4 or so) would be enough to really get the air flowing properly to keep it vented....

I'm going to look at pulling off the paneling they have up there now and see what we're dealing with and maybe just refinishing it. They used a really really corse siding (like the stuff you use on sheds) and it's sucking up the primer faster than we can get it on there. The walls are clad in the same thing and for a 10x20 room with 9 windows (meaning not a whole lot of wall space) we went thru 6 gal of primer!

The biggest benefit of enclosing it would be to keep that room a little cooler in the summer and a little warmer in the winter - hopefully enough so that we can enjoy it more than just on the shoulder months (we're in northern VA)

Again, thanks for your input!

Last edited by linzyxo; 04-19-2008 at 07:38 AM.
linzyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

2 x 4's running perpendicular will strengthen the framing and allow for the air flow as mentioned with out needing a vent in every bay or a solid vent at the top. Regular Roof vents with soffit vents added may be a good choice adding the sleepers mentioned.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote