Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Share |

Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?

Hello All,

I'd like to enclose my patio to make it air and watertight. I plan on adding air conditioning ducts in the room to make it a proper 4 seasons room. There are already 3 walls and a roof. All I need to build is one wall (windows and doors). I really enjoy these kinds of projects and would like to have a go at it before I pay someone to do it.

I've never put up a wall or build framing for a wall, but I have watched hours of tutorials on YouTube (it's where I've learned everything I know so far). I do have the basic tools for the job - Circular Saw, Miter Saw, Drill, Level, etc. The problem I am running into is I don't know where to begin. I'll post some pictures to give you an idea of what I am working with:

Here is the patio from the outside. The dimension of the wall to fill in the hole is 11 feet wide by 10 feet 6 inches tall. I'd like the wall to have a sliding glass door in the middle (72 inch wide x 80 inch tall OR 120 inch wide by 80 inch tall). If I go with the 72 inch sliding door, Id have to fill the left and right sides with a window. If I go with the 120 inch sliding door, that leaves 6 inches on each side. Id probably cover it up with trimming.
The height of the door will be 6 feet tall, leaving a 4 foot gap on top. I would probably fill that gap with some more windows.
As for the Triangles up on top, Im still trying to figure out how to cover that to keep it an air/water tight room.

This is what the siding looks like. How do you recommend I cut through it? I'm thinking I'd need to put framing up against this wall?

Any suggestions on where I should get started or plans of how to build the framing would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?-photo-1.jpg   Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?-photo-2.jpg   Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?-photo-3.jpg   Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?-photo-4.jpg   Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?-photo-5.jpg  

Enclosing my Patio. Suggession on how to get started?-photo-7.jpg  

ahmadhasib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

Figure out what you would like to do and put it on paper. Then got to the zoning office and find out what you need for permits and plans. You may need to hire an architect to draw up plans to submit for permits. Above all, don't start anything without a permit!

landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to landfillwizard For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (05-21-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Rob

Something this small you could probably draw yourself. In some areas you might not even need a permit. I would first call the zoning office. You might need to dig a footing.
Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

You're getting answers over on the other thread you started under Gen. Discussion, so don't expect any here. You should only post a thread one time, putting it in multiple locations is not appreciated nor allowed under forum rules.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Looks like a great start!! No issues about bearing wall, etc as all is carried by the beam that is already in place. It is a simple framing job, i would think two bye six studs and dense insulation to get your r21 walls. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Mod

Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #7

I'd start with sketches, as already suggested. I'd make sure the stones slope away from the opening. If they don't you'd need to be sure to make that change first. Everything is only as good as the base upon which you build. You may need to make a level surface upon which to frame your wall. As already mentioned you might need to fortify the patio for the wall; but since it will just be a wall up against a structure that is already weight bearing, that may not be an issue. This is why talking with the City/County Plan/Permits is a good idea. You are only framing in a space that has three walls. I think no matter what size doors you put in you will rough frame for them and any windows you want. Since so much is glass, I agree that using 2x6 would allow for more insulation. Don't forget to get good thermal windows. A good glass company could help you with custom cut glass for your rafters. You might rough a frame for a custom made thermal window to cover the rafter. It looks like a gratifying project. Good luck.

KathrynCecelia is offline   Reply With Quote