Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Enclosing Garage Raising Floor

I'm live in NJ and looking for a bit of guidance in regards to framing and raising our garage floor to match existing houses breeze way that is also concrete.
Garage Dimensions are: L24'10" x W10'9"
Concert slab is sloped. Back to Front. Not a doubled slope floor.
8.5" is the lowest height to match existing floor in main house. Have not been able to measure closer to the garage door due to existing wall blocking my measurements. I know it will be great than 8.5 inches as I approach the garage door due to slope.

I was considering using pressure treated wood for framing. 2x10" for my box frame and 2x8" for my floor joist(16"OC). Obviously I will have to rip 2x10" box frame to match exisitng floor height to garage slab.
My questions are do I have to use strong ties for installing joist?
Can I Use pressure treated wood for framing?
Do I need to add ventilation to the space below?
What is the best way to secure framing to slab?

Is there a better framing option; Or did I miss anything?

Thank you for your time
Stu

gullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

Vapor barrier under the slab?
If not lay one on top of the slab.
Yes you would use all pressure treated lumber for the framing.
Your going to build this just like as if you were building a deck.
Yes to the joist hangers.
Also run a row of blocking down the middle.
Shim any joist that do not come in contact with the vapor barrier. (slab)
Make sure to account for the subflooring and any other flooring going in.
It's best in most cases to run block where the old door was to keep out water.
Get rid of the old apron to reduce splash and take away from the fact it used to be a garage..

Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 6

In many jurisdictions, the garage is required to be lower than the house by typically about 3 or 4 inches. The idea is to prevent spilled gas or oil from entering the house. You had best check with your local building official before you raise the garage level with the breezeway, as your local official may not allow this. While you are talking to them, you can discuss the details of the construction to make sure you comply with local regulations.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 108

If he's converting the garage to livable as I understand it I would think this does not apply Dan.
It's only 10' 9" wide so it sounds like a single car to me.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 0

Check with local AHJ, as you are under parts of both the IRC, and the IBC; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...es/new-jersey/

In one, just a vapor barrier on the slab, regular framing lumber--- the other; vb plus pt sleepers or plate- all securely fastened to slab; #3; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_3_par203.htm

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._23_par141.htm

Your biggest problem is underfloor ventilation or "closed" crawl; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_4_sec008.htm
They may let you by with securing insulation in direct contact with floor framing, and just foamboard the short side concrete walls... ask them.

Gary