DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Enclosing a Florida Rm = bdrm

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 ·
greetings!

I am thinking about the costs involved in converting a wood framed and windowed florida room into a functioning bedroom. The room now has 3 walls of old crank windows that take up about 70% of the wall space and the remaining wall is 2x4. The remaining wall material is old wood framed with drywall,etc. I want to significantly decrease the window are to only have two standard windows and and exist door as required by code.
The florida room which has a flat roof is attached and sits off the back portion of the home and does not have AC I also see no way to run ducts above the ceiling and below the drywall- flat roof. It measures 15x 19.

First, how do I estimate a cost at finishing this off into a bedroom?

Thanks;
Dutch

#2 · (Edited)
greetings!
I am thinking about the costs involved in converting a wood framed and windowed florida room into a functioning bedroom....and does not have AC I also see no way to run ducts above the ceiling and below the drywall- flat roof. It measures 15x 19.
First, how do I estimate a cost at finishing this off into a bedroom?
Thanks;
Dutch
The best way to determine a realistic cost for a project (and get it within actual cost perameters), is to get a professional to physically see, inspect, measure, study, ask questions, etc...ONSITE.

These kinds of questions come up alot on the forum. Unfortunately, it is alot like asking someone to guess your weight, height, eye color, hair color, favorite song, favorite food, etc.......online (sight unseen).

You see, there are many variables regarding, the completing of the actual project. Literally, those variables could number 50 to several hundred +.
If each variable has a price tag, then the price/cost of such a project could range anywhere from $3000.00 to $15,000.00 or higher.
If this room is to be turned into a "bedroom", there are more specific concerns (per code) as well. Locations of electrical outlets, fire code building requirements, ventilation, etc = $$

I've stated this before, there is no "blue-book" value or simple formula to pricing a given remodeling project, because there can be so many things that will have to be done or adjusted, that WILL be different from one person's home to another's.

Finally, I am assuming that you must mean having the work done, because you did not state that you would be doing the project yourself? If that is your desire, then try this route; get three quotes from reputable contractors.
The general concensus is to usually go with the middle price.
Also, check the person's referrences out, do their past projects cover similar work scopes? Do you feel comfortable with them?.....among other questions and requirements.

#3 · (Edited)
Hey Atlantic...are you a part time politician on weekends?:laughing: I have never had the patience to type that much in response to the endless questions both here and in other forums about how much a project or job should cost, especially a large one, but you have about stated my opinion on this as if a direct quote. When someone asks about price, I will occasssionally make a general "seems fair" or "seems a little high" for a common task, like hanging a door or a couple of cabinets (even then I throw in the "unknown" qualifier), but can anyone really expect a cost projection answer worth anything from a description posted on a forum?

One thing I know from experience of having closed in several "porches" that were very similiar to the construction described here is that they all cost more than twice what the HO expected it to cost "just to frame in betwen the porch posts and sheetrock the walls"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.