Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

enclosing a carport

I'm enclosing my carport. The west wall is the existing house. The east side has three steel posts with a support beam attached to them. The roof joists slope from the west wall to the beam on the east side There is a a 6.5" slope. Going north to south the concrete is sloped 4.5" in 28". What is the best way to frame the east wall? The support beam is level. How about the north and south walls the concrete is level the joists are sloped. Should I just build up the sill plate on the east wall? On the north and south walls should I build up the top plate. Or is it ok to cut the studs on an angle? Also on the east wall I'm installing a door and two non hinged anderson frenchwood patio door panels they have sills attached to them should these be fastened directly to the concrete or attached to the sill plate. Thanks for your help

bobo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

enclosing a carport

The walls are just studded in the traditional manner. Pressure treated sill plates and studs every 16". The door panels are another matter. They need to be installed on a level surface. Since they're non operating, I would treat them as a window and lift them off the floor and center them in the vertical space. A 4" drop over 28" is fairly steep. Having the door panel close to the floor would look stupid.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

enclosing a carport

Is your floor slope 4 inches over 28 inches or is it 4 inches over 28 feet? If it's 4 inches over 28 inches as you say, that's mighty steep and you need to think about framing the floor to level it. I'm going to assume you mean 4" over 28'. If that's the case, you can set your door thresholds onto the concrete. Put a vapor barrier under them and flashing to prevent water from entering underneath. I'd leave the steel posts and frame around them, hiding them inside the wall cavity. The slab needs to be setting on a foundation wall and footer around the entire perimeter. Most carport slabs are at ground level. You need to think about how to maintain the required distances from grade to the bottom of your framed wall.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

enclosing a carport

In addition to what Maintenance said, the slab does not have footers(most likely) and is not connected to the house foundation, It will move with weather changes so you will always have cracks that open and close. I would guess the there are building codes that require a permit, and this is one of the things that will need to be corrected before you do anything.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

enclosing a carport

Sorry I must have hit the " key by mistake it is 4.5" over 28' on the east wall and 6.5" over 22' on the north and south walls. The east wall with the posts has a footer and the west wall is part of the house the roof joists extend over that wall. I already have a permit and I'm adding a triple 2x12 beam down the middle to reduce stress on the roof joists. This beam will sit on 3 6"x6" post that will be attached to 2'x2' x3' deep concrete piers. What I was wondering was whether I should just install a pressure treated sill plate and cut each stud at an angle to match the slope. The bottoms of the east wall would need to be angled and the tops of the north and south walls would need to be angled to match the doubled end joists. With the doors and fixed patio door panels they all have aluminum sills/thresholds attached to them. They will be installed on the east wall where the concrete slopes and will have to be shimmed to bring plumb if attached directly to the slab. I'm planning on just using the slab as my floor just covering it with carpeting, so if I try to level out the slope by building up the sill plate the bottm of the door would be about 4" off the slab, thats why I wanted to know if the studs could just be cut at an angle and attached to a sloping sill plate. And on the north and south walls the tops of the studs would need to cut at an angle to match the slope of the roof joists, or would it be better to build a wall with straight cuts and build up the top plate to match the slope. Thanks again .
bobo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

enclosing a carport

Check with your building department, but you may have to add footers for the walls as well unless you are doing post and beam.

Setting carpet on an uninsulated and no vapor barrier, cement, garage floor is a recipe for mold. Plan on putting down a product to address this.

kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote